ThomC

Antelope permits down.

G&F is stonewalling these ideas because they dont want to think outside their cozy caves in Careless.  Excuses= oh we have never done that before. oh that would take a lot of meetings, oh I am too busy organizing the next lunch party for careless employees,  oh I dont think, that wont work, yada, yada, yada.  😢

On 12/30/2018 at 9:14 AM, oz31p said:

Kill coyotes, make it rain, stop bulldozing habitat to build new houses. 

This

Game and fish been doing the helo hunting since I moved here in the early 80's on yotes  if I remember right. nothing wrong with it. I think its great. shooting from a copter is pretty hard even on yotes and you have to have a dang good pilot. I wont complain about spending the money on it.

I believe one of the biggest problems with night hunting for yotes is units are too crowded with housing and that causes a problem due to stupid people with guns out in the dark looking for coyotes and not paying attention to there surroundings. we see it all the time during the day. turn the lights off in a area that holds lopes which is inundated with houses and you could have some problems. so I can see there skepticism on opening all units. even with shotgun only it buckshot travels pretty far

the main problem with coyote population and hunting them is for 99% of the hunters they are called a target of opportunity. meaning someone is hunting something else coyote comes into range its dead. There are very few people that go out to kill yotes just to kill yotes. toss in the night hunts and there are less cause most of the hardcore yote hunters dont want to drive 2-5 hours to a unit that is open for night hunting.

cant blame G&F for predator problems its nobodies fault. its open year round. some units have it open at night .

a few good things G&F did to enhance yote hunting is allow supressors and no mag limits. next they need to allow Nigh vision scopes, being thermal or inferred or what ever. Reason I say this more people would go out and shoot them, just for an excuse to use bad butt optics.

putting a bounty on yotes might be a good thing as it would get the guys that want to make a few bucks out hunting yote's. however it would need to be 50+ for the simple fact that greed out ways just hunting and for 5-25 bucks people that normally dont hunt yotes wont be convinced to hunt yotes for anything less than 50 bucks. They want to get paid for there time other wise they have no interest in it. the other problem is public perception. some dip shoot and the "if you shoot it you have to eat it hunters" will complain because people are being paid to kill yotes and leave them there and killing them just to kill them. it would be a good thing for people who actually go out and hunt yotes for the sole purpose to kill them. ,

there are only a few hunters that hunt yotes like they hunt deer or elk. then when they do come online to post pics ON a hunter forum no less dipshsits come on and complain because it makes hunters look bad killing something you wont eat, leaving it lay or heavens for bid you show some blood.

then you have yote tourneys and yet HUNTERS complain about them like little school girls..

its a no win situation for G&F and Varmit hunters get shoot because there killing them and then get shoot because they cut permit numbers.

BTW tomorrow is the start of a new year, I hear its the year of the dog, wack them and stack them. im taking out 2 teenagers tomorrow for yotes. this time there using shotguns and rifles no bows. I might even bring my shotgun to show them how its done. they want to hit as many stands as possible before it gets dark. start at north phoenix end up usually in unit 8 or 9 and hunt all the way up. never leave the freeway or paved road more than a 1/2 mile.

• Like 4

Trying to do my part.  Got more in the freezer to get put up!

Brian

7D68003D-F7AD-4632-B682-47D3AF2EDF9C.thumb.jpeg.b4216b8e8ce5d6d8a1cbe68bfd5162b9.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Wow! 1

I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about hunting coyotes if I knew somebody in the Prescott/Chino Valley/Paulden area that would take the coyotes.  I wouldn't be able to bring any home, but if I knew somebody that would take them for the pelt, I'd be much more inclined to go after them.   I wouldn't need or want any compensation, but just leaving them lay is just not my style.

19 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about hunting coyotes if I knew somebody in the Prescott/Chino Valley/Paulden area that would take the coyotes.  I wouldn't be able to bring any home, but if I knew somebody that would take them for the pelt, I'd be much more inclined to go after them.   I wouldn't need or want any compensation, but just leaving them lay is just not my style.

If you’re ever in the White Mountains I’d be more than happy to take them. 

Brian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Thats the other problem, no one wants them, I can see your point on that.

I have the mindset that a yote especially a desert yote is just Ballistic jelly and nothing more, just like p-dogs. Foxs and cats on the other hand I would do something with.

I tried the skinning of a yote one time in nov. north of wickenburg. Nastiest thing I ever skinned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MT_Sourdough said:

giphy (3).gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Delw said:

Thats the other problem, no one wants them, I can see your point on that.

I have the mindset that a yote especially a desert yote is just Ballistic jelly and nothing more, just like p-dogs. Foxs and cats on the other hand I would do something with.

I tried the skinning of a yote one time in nov. north of wickenburg. Nastiest thing I ever skinned

They can be a little stinky but they skin pretty quick.

Part of the problem, IMO is the negative publicity that comes with any type of predator hunting. If I'm not mistaken, hunters used to be able to go along on the helicopter coyote hunts with G&F but the anti's got wind of that and made a stink. The same thing happens when there are predator contests. These are really effective at getting people out there killing coyotes because of the prizes/cash associated with them, end up getting really bad publicity for the same reason. I think the best thing we can do is, like standman and several others here, get out and kill them, make money off the pelts and don't make it too public. It's really fun, and you can do it just about anywhere in the state year round. 

• Like 1

Kill them all. You can still hunt yotes at night in units with speed goats, correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach said:

Part of the problem, IMO is the negative publicity that comes with any type of predator hunting. If I'm not mistaken, hunters used to be able to go along on the helicopter coyote hunts with G&F but the anti's got wind of that and made a stink. The same thing happens when there are predator contests. These are really effective at getting people out there killing coyotes because of the prizes/cash associated with them, end up getting really bad publicity for the same reason. I think the best thing we can do is, like standman and several others here, get out and kill them, make money off the pelts and don't make it too public. It's really fun, and you can do it just about anywhere in the state year round. 

Best fun I ever ha was hunting them off snowmobiles or the back of pick up trucks in Washington state on a few ranchers property, those were the good old days.

Antelope eaters in seligman drew a ton of people. was one of the best tournies out there. I believe Don (think that was his name) out of kingman ran those with the kingman sportsman club from the beginning. when the antis decided to change the laws it slowly went down the hill with less and less participation. The raffle tickets prises after that werent bad they had fantastic giveaways

25 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Kill them all. You can still hunt yotes at night in units with speed goats, correct?

yes you can but not all year long

yote daylight.jpg

yote night hunts.png

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

They can be a little stinky but they skin pretty quick.

I'll probably give it another try if I can get one with good fur, the one I tried was head shot and it stunk worse than a gut shot elk. 

I'll make the kids do it if they get any tomorrow, they want the pelts.

Saw a YouTube vid the other day where they were skinning yotes with an air compressor. I’m going to give it a try this spring/summer. 

• Like 1