ThomC

Antelope permits down.

That sucks, I've seen probably 500+ coyotes in my hunting carrier but have never even tried to shoot one. I guess it's to start shopping some 

3 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

That sucks, I've seen probably 500+ coyotes in my hunting carrier but have never even tried to shoot one. I guess it's to start shopping some 

I would suggest to get an e-caller as a hand call takes quite a bit of practice to get cool, not to mention good lungs.

I have shot plenty of coyotes without doing anything with them.  In Montana, most ranchers have a policy that you gut shoot them so that they go off the ranch and up in the hills before they die.   I never felt that good about it.  I know the purpose, but it was not like shooting gophers.  I have killed thousands of gophers without any hit to my conscious. 

Last time I gut shot a coyote, I was next to the YOLO ranch just a couple of years ago.  I shot one of a pair.  Then I heard the one I shot dying all day on the hill above my camp.  That evening, it's mate came down and gave me grief for about 45 minutes.  

On top of all that, if I was looking for moral bearing, I wouldn't look for it here.  You all can take that any way you darn well please!

Anyways, it's my problem and I am guessing I am about to get over it, though my original point still stands.  I'd much prefer handing retrieved coyotes to somebody who would make use of it.

2 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I have shot plenty of coyotes without doing anything with them.  In Montana, most ranchers have a policy that you gut shoot them so that they go off the ranch and up in the hills before they die.   I never felt that good about it.  I know the purpose, but it was not like shooting gophers.  I have killed thousands of gophers without any hit to my conscious. 

Last time I gut shot a coyote, I was next to the YOLO ranch just a couple of years ago.  I shot one of a pair.  Then I heard the one I shot dying all day on the hill above my camp.  That evening, it's mate came down and gave me grief for about 45 minutes.  

On top of all that, if I was looking for moral bearing, I wouldn't look for it here.  You all can take that any way you darn well please!

Anyways, it's my problem and I am guessing I am about to get over it, though my original point still stands.  I'd much prefer handing retrieved coyotes to somebody who would make use of it.

I wouldn't intentionally gut shoot one but then I don't view them as having feelings or a soul anymore than a fly or a bug about to be stepped on. Pretty much feel that way about anything I am going to catch on a fishing line or shoot to eat. 

Stopped keeping track of how many coyotes I have shot  over the last 30+ years. Probably well over 1000, never lost any sleep over it. All called in with a hand call. First rule is never give an animal a human quality. Dolphins don't build skyscrapers, dogs don't write novels.

17 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

No grief from me, I cant intentionally would yotes either , I dont like to see things suffer. but love killing them ;)

oh yeah that 4x4 you posted a pic of watching cars a week ago, we have one down in the desert we ran into doing the same thing, unfortunately I didnt have my bow kids and I were yote hunting. crested a hill and 4 does bedded watching cars 40-60 yards from highway. does got up walked right by us with a very nice 4X4 in tow.  they watched us call yotes for a while.

we were headed up to unit 8 and believe it or not to hunt right off the freeway to ashfork for few bucks that like to hang with in 100 yards of the highway. but didnt want to head up cause of the snow so we stayed south

On 12/31/2018 at 1:27 PM, MT_Sourdough said:

I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about hunting coyotes if I knew somebody in the Prescott/Chino Valley/Paulden area that would take the coyotes.  I wouldn't be able to bring any home, but if I knew somebody that would take them for the pelt, I'd be much more inclined to go after them.   I wouldn't need or want any compensation, but just leaving them lay is just not my style.

Birds got to eat also.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:14 PM, PRDATR said:

I would suggest to get an e-caller as a hand call takes quite a bit of practice to get cool, not to mention good lungs.

Its not only harder to learn how to use it correctly but the animal is fixed on your location, they know right where you are. Your stand location , movement, shooting skills must be good in order to be consistently successful. 

i listen to Jay scott podcast and he had Jim Heffelfinger on it and they talked about that and Jim Heffelfinger was saying that suppressing predators has to be done in the right time of the year, it is a great podcast and informative.

15 minutes ago, maximus said:

i listen to Jay scott podcast and he had Jim Heffelfinger on it and they talked about that and Jim Heffelfinger was saying that suppressing predators has to be done in the right time of the year, it is a great podcast and informative.

Heffelfinger is great. But don’t let science get in the way of what these guys are saying. For some the solution to every situation is shoot more of something. But hey, when you are a hammer, every problem is a nail.

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Heffelfinger is great. But don’t let science get in the way of what these guys are saying. For some the solution to every situation is shoot more of something. But hey, when you are a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Yeah.. Shooting yotes from now to April does nothing to increase the fawn survival rate in antelope and Deer right oh great one?