Sign in to follow this  
AZantlerhead

ATV's, Quads, Four Wheelers, & shedhunting

I grew up walking and observing nature up close. You usually don't see much driving by, even at low speed. I learned to hunt and gather from expert woodsmen and they always traveled light and walked. I don't understand the mentality of the overequipped sportsman. I know they have a goal and are competitive. But I learned to see everything and love the journey as well. I'm different anyhow. I let some small bulls walk during the elk season that's going on now and shot a large cow instead. I was taught to shoot meat and be grateful and thankful for it. I can still see the delight in the old people's eyes when I was young and brought good meat home. I guess an ATV just isn't peaceful enough to bring back that memory like walking for miles on end does. On my last long walk I expect to see my grandfather and grandmother smiling in hopeful expectation once again.

Until that day,

Mark

I grew up walking and observing nature up close. You usually don't see much driving by, even at low speed. I learned to hunt and gather from expert woodsmen and they always traveled light and walked. I don't understand the mentality of the overequipped sportsman. I know they have a goal and are competitive. But I learned to see everything and love the journey as well. I'm different anyhow. I let some small bulls walk during the elk season that's going on now and shot a large cow instead. I was taught to shoot meat and be grateful and thankful for it. I can still see the delight in the old people's eyes when I was young and brought good meat home. I guess an ATV just isn't peaceful enough to bring back that memory like walking for miles on end does. On my last long walk I expect to see my grandfather and grandmother smiling in hopeful expectation once again.

Until that day,

Mark

WELL SAID

Roy

Thought i'd share a gripe while packing for shed trip. Last Sat. my cousins neighbor bought an old atc and has been acting a fool. The first day we saw him with a little, i mean little girl rideing on the gas tank with no helmet clutching the bars. <_< The idiot, i will say his name Jerry had a helmet on, WTF? we drove by in my pickup and i pointed to my head and the little girl, He SAW. and kept rideing. The very next day he was trying to sell a 5x7 muley set, not including double brows! My cousin became suspicious and started walking hi fresh laid "trails" everywhere in the virgin soil, It's been a wet winter, his ruts were deep! That sucker found those trophy muleys on the property my cousin rents! Yesterday he rode by with the girl again, a helmet on her this time supriseingly, we tried to stop him and talk to him about the destruction of publi and private land but he sped on as if we werent there. :ph34r: :angry: .

People like this put our right to shed hunt in Jepordy. STOP THEM!

I have to agree!!! There is nothing that ticks me off more that making an hour hike into somewhere with that feeling of knowing you're going to have a good day of finding sheds, then seeing fresh quad tracks that grid the area already. It makes me sick to my stomach everytime. I have a couple of quads, but use them legally if at all. I do all of my shed hunting by foot! Thanks for the post!

+1 brother.....