Sign in to follow this  
NOTAGS

Dang you Sous Vide guys!

So,  after reading some of you that have been doing this, and being the ignorant redneck I am, I had to research this thing called Sous Vide... WTH?  Boil food in a bag?  I  like to eat well, and am a pellet grill junkie.  But!  Boil a steak in a bag?  Indoors when the weather sucks?  Hmm.  I must have voiced my curiosity, because my daughter and her room mate (AKA 12ring)  gave  me an immersion cooker, as in a  Sous Vide cooker for Christmas .  Okay, lets learn this stuff.    First  read... , eggs!  Supposed to be made for this type of cooking. I  Iove a poached egg, but have quit trying as my egg whites flee to parts unknown like a shady landscape crew on an ICE raid. Cook in the shell?  WTH?  I made Eggs Benedict/Dave since I don't like Holandaise sauce  and can't spell it.  dang!  Even my in house critic liked it.

Round two:  Mule deer backstops and calabacitas.  Set the bath to 130 for an hour,  had the squash cooking at 145  for 45 minutes before that. Pulled steaks  and squash. Seared the steak in butter  and olive oil.  Perfect medium rare/rare  deer steaks!  NO dryness.  Squash could have cooked longer or hotter, will tweak.  Shrimp and fish will be my next run, I have a freezer full of grouper, tuna , and dorado that will be so easy to cook this way.  

Thanks to all of you who posted your meals and experiments!  Otherwise I would have missed this super simple way to cook.

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

Room mate, I love it.  What kind of redneck doesn't like holland days sauce?  Is that how you spell it?  Found you another Pigzilla, unfortunately he was going over top of Mount Mother#$%!.  Sous Vide Javelina backstrap coming up next?

HA!  I hate that unit!  Unless you're in the C unit?  Got a lead on a private ranch in 17b for the K & B hunt  for archery. Problematic pigs eating the ranchers  veggies. Working on getting my arm to where I might  be able to lift the smoke pole for February.  

Got one for myself for X-Mas.  My first try with a midwest whitetail backstrap.  Seared it, then cooked it whole at 130F for 7 hours, then seared it again.

Sous.JPG

I cooked  grouper last night, flaked apart perfectly.  Plus you don't have to baby sit the food when cooking.  I'm  loving this thing!

• Wow! 1

19 hours ago, Speedy said:

Got one for myself for X-Mas.  My first try with a midwest whitetail backstrap.  Seared it, then cooked it whole at 130F for 7 hours, then seared it again.

Sous.JPG

Now that you have browned the outside how are you going to finish that nice meat?

The meat is finished!  It's perfectly medium rare just the way I like it.  Made excellent sandwiches the next day too.  BTW -  Cooked a prime rib to 137 and it was about the same doneness.  Med-rare is 130 for venison, 140 for beef.  Go figure.

DSC_0018.JPG

I decided to try a little different approach Saturday night.  I smoked a rib eye  on my Traeger for 1 -1/2 hours, vac packed  and sous vide cooked it at 119 for another hour or so... it doesn't matter on that time.  Hit it with the  hot griddle at 500 on the Traeger again to sear.  It was the best steak I have cooked ever!  Will be doing again, but next up will be elk burgers the same way.  Sorry no pics, I ate the subject really fast.

• Like 1

Careful, the two together will get you hooked!  I recommend the sous vide, great for pork chops which suck when over cooked, but yo don't want undercooked either.    Plus timing doesn't matter, you can get tied up and not over cook your meal. Also makes great poached eggs.