Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

WTB Heated socks

My toes nearly froze off this past week of hunting.  While I was sitting on the hills FREEZING my butt off I decided I need to look into heated socks.  Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Have you considered a good set of boots??

Crocs are the only way to go for comfort and quiet, they are a little chilly though😏

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

Crocs are the only way to go for comfort and quiet, they are a little chilly though😏

That’s kinda what I was afraid of 

• Like 1

Wear Smart Wool Socks. Do you have another cold weather hunt coming up? You are probably better off getting insulated boots.

I have good insulated boots and good socks.  I was just looking for additional options.

What about a whole extra size too big with some of those chemical warmers inside.  I have insulated kenetrek with wool and still had some cold butt feet on the November kaibab hunt. Bigger boots with more room and handwarmers were where my head was at.

Lots of heated socks on Amazon. My wife is diabetic and her feet nearly froze this past weekend. She wore insulated boots and wool socks too. We are in the market for a good heated sock. Some of the rechargeable socks have the best reviews but when you are tent camping that is not practical. We are looking at getting her the AA or 9 volt battery type.

Check out LL Bean's lineup. There are boots that are supposedly rated to -20-30 degs. They ain't cheap, however. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506698?page=mens-bean-boots&csp=f&bc=474-506697&gnrefine=1*WARMTH_RATING*Warmer^1*WARMTH_RATING*Warmest&sort_field=Relevance&start=1&viewCount=48&nav=C3vg44u506698-474

I have a pair of Bean's that have interchangeable linings for warm, cold and colder temps. The linings for real cold are Thinsulate with a silver covering like a space blanket. I wore them with temps in the teens and never had cold feet. They look like this pair but are sized to take the linings.

boot1.thumb.jpg.3a8397b8231f73db73627b955f76c3b1.jpg

It looks like they no longer sell the ones like mine, but they have the Maine Pac Boot with liners available. 

maine.thumb.jpg.7ab95b363b57479782eac7577d93ebd5.jpg

liner.thumb.jpg.473eba372ae326351926c718ef2c5714.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

WOW, those are UGLY boots!!!!

They may be ugly, but they sure work as advertised for cold and/or wet conditions. I would guess LL Bean has sold millions of pairs in this line over the years. Unless there's snow on the ground, I rarely wear mine AZ. I mostly bought them for hunts in Alaska and Canada, but have also worn them in snowy conditions in Colo. and Wyo. and in waterfowl blinds in the Midwest.

17 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

They may be ugly, but they sure work as advertised for cold and/or wet conditions. I would guess LL Bean has sold millions of pairs in this line over the years. Unless there's snow on the ground, I rarely wear mine AZ. I mostly bought them for hunts in Alaska and Canada, but have also worn them in snowy conditions in Colo. and Wyo. and in waterfowl blinds in the Midwest.

That is what he started his company on well over 100 years ago.

23 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

That is what he started his company on well over 100 years ago.

Yup. There's even a giant boot outside the Maine store. 

Some trivia:

L.L.Bean was founded in 1912 by its namesake, hunter and fisherman Leon Leonwood Bean in Freeport, Maine. The company began as a one-room operation selling a single product, the Maine Hunting Shoe (also known as duck boots[). Bean had developed a waterproof boot, which is a combination of lightweight leather uppers and rubber bottoms, that he sold to hunters. He obtained a list of nonresident Maine hunting license holders, prepared a descriptive mail order circular, set up a shop in his brother's basement in Freeport and started a nationwide mail-order business. By 1912, he was selling the Bean Boot, or Maine Hunting Shoe, through a four-page mail-order catalog, and the boot remains a staple of the company's outdoor image. Defects in the initial design led to 90 percent of the original production run being returned: Bean honored his money-back guarantee, corrected the design, and continued selling them

• Like 1