Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Cleaning smoke off a mount

Unfortunately we had a fish tank fire last night. Apparently the heater shorted and started to burn the frame of the tank and the water supply line. Fortunately my wife and oldest boy were still up and went to investigate after smelling smoke so no serious damage to the house and thank GOD no one was killed. Unfortunately my buck was sitting on top of the tank due to some remodeling we were doing in the house. Luckily only the back where it secures to the wall got the most damage, slightly singed hairs on the edge but catastrophe mostly avoided. The antlers and hide have a bit of soot on them and I'm scared to just wipe it off.  Suggestions?

Smoked fish for dinner! Glad evrything is ok Kev............BOB!

Call Chris - https://mountnviewtaxidermy.com/

Sorry to hear about the mount and tank.  I had a heater burn up in a fry tank from breeders I had and it only cooked the fish.  Keep heater away from other power lines, water lines and pumps/filters.  Buy quality heaters.

Glad it wasn't serious. Just so happens I ordered a new heater for my tank as the one I have which is probably close to 20 years old stays on all the time. Definately get a quality one like this. Just shop around for the best price for the size you need. Stay away from anything that is made by Aqueon. I've had fish tanks since 1964.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Jager_TruTemp_50_Watt_Fully_Submersible_UL_Approved_Heater_Glass_Tube_Aquarium_Heaters-Jager-EJ1111-FIHTGH-EJ1111-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=EJ1111&gclid=Cj0KCQiA37HhBRC8ARIsAPWoO0x2pSUdhU8848gMPUbLp-8FwakN3vP9TvELnR1dtz05b_jvm9835RIaAvQ0EALw_wcB

I was told by my taxidermist to use a feather duster for dusting my bird mounts. I have used it on my other mounts as well. It seems to do a good job for basic dusting. If thst doesn't work, I would used pressurized air. 

I have a few aquariums, I won't run a heater without this controller on it. My mounts and house are worth more than the $36 dollar controller. The probe takes the temp water and cuts power to the heater off if the water goes up past where you set it. You can also run a fan or chiller on it. Usually heaters get stuck in the on position and fry the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Inkbird-Digital/dp/B077N22T3W/ref=asc_df_B077N22T3W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241964257918&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2853966952336165478&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061149&hvtargid=pla-395718471013&psc=1

Man, I'm surprised at how many fish tank heater horror stories I've been hearing.  Thanks for the suggestions I will get a good one  

Finally got this buck back. Dude kept it longer to completely re mount it since he was new to taxidermy the first time around.  Honestly didnt have any complaints but it does look nicer this time around.  Happy to have him back home! Now the fireplace looks symetrical and other dude has a buddy. 

20201030_073536.thumb.jpg.c288696187c537c0a2f138011748b39b.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

Buck of a lifetime!  Glad you got it back and are happy with it.  They both look great up there.

Thanks, i love that buck!  Didn't even know what I had when I got him. It was my last chance to get out for archery and was gonna shoot anything with horns.  When I walked up on him my heart skipped a beat.

When we measured him years back I thought you had to go by gross score. Had him at 95 7/8".  Now I wanna measure him again, I'm hoping I broke the 100" mark without knowing it.

• Like 2

The buck on the left didn't break 100" when you measured him? man, you need a new tape measure! is he really narrow or something?

• Like 2