Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckkiller

22 Points

I’ve grown up hunting unit 1 and 27. Have probably honestly been on 50 bull kills in those units over the years. I am in love with them and know them very well. That being said, i wouldn’t burn 22bp’s in either unit anymore. The G&F has decimated the age class since the wallow fire exposed the population. The genetics in those units are incredible and it’s really a shame what has happened. Unit 1 is trophy managed and 27 is supposed to be opportunity managed. The problem with that is a big percentage of unit 1 bulls winter in 27, where they get slaughtered in the late hunt

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I’ve grown up hunting unit 1 and 27. Have probably honestly been on 50 bull kills in those units over the years. I am in love with them and know them very well. That being said, i wouldn’t burn 22bp’s in either unit anymore. The G&F has decimated the age class since the wallow fire exposed the population. The genetics in those units are incredible and it’s really a shame what has happened. Unit 1 is trophy managed and 27 is supposed to be opportunity managed. The problem with that is a big percentage of unit 1 bulls winter in 27, where they get slaughtered in the late hunt

Yup. 

What unit(s) do you know better?  Are you an accomplished archer?  Remember you can find quality bulls in every unit, but more in some.  23S can be a rough hunt, but sounds like that's not an issue for you.  I haven't hunted 23S, but know some who do and they find those large bulls every year in those deep nasty canyons.  Either way, I can't believe you waited 20 years (or more) for a bull tag!  That's a long, long time, too long IMO. 

My son drew a September rifle bull tag when he was 15, a year after he took an elk with a juniors tag in 6A, so you just never know who will get those September rifle tags!  I will say that a late September rifle tag was a lot of fun in 5BN back in 2008. 

With that many points I'd probably put in for unit 9 archery, and consider where else I'd like to go aside from 9 and forgo a rifle tag... unless archery isn't really your thing. 

Unit 1 & 27 used to be my favorite units prior to the Wallow Fire.  I haven't hunted there since... family does, but like said before, it's just not the same, perhaps never will be.  Either way, good luck, you've waited a long time!

7 hours ago, 1uofacat said:

What unit(s) do you know better?  Are you an accomplished archer?  Remember you can find quality bulls in every unit, but more in some.  23S can be a rough hunt, but sounds like that's not an issue for you.  I haven't hunted 23S, but know some who do and they find those large bulls every year in those deep nasty canyons.  Either way, I can't believe you waited 20 years (or more) for a bull tag!  That's a long, long time, too long IMO. 

My son drew a September rifle bull tag when he was 15, a year after he took an elk with a juniors tag in 6A, so you just never know who will get those September rifle tags!  I will say that a late September rifle tag was a lot of fun in 5BN back in 2008. 

With that many points I'd probably put in for unit 9 archery, and consider where else I'd like to go aside from 9 and forgo a rifle tag... unless archery isn't really your thing. 

Unit 1 & 27 used to be my favorite units prior to the Wallow Fire.  I haven't hunted there since... family does, but like said before, it's just not the same, perhaps never will be.  Either way, good luck, you've waited a long time!

Then you get first crack at them 

If I had 22 points I would be looking really hard at a rifle tag. Probably 3A/C or 23N. Maybe I just know a lot of lucky people but early archery bull for Unit 1 comes around every 5-7 years in my experience, and 3B can be 2-3 years.

As many have said, Unit 1 is declining for sure because of all the fires and higher kill rates in later hunts. Best of luck - you get to pretty much pick your hunt, but it's not going to be easy whatever you choose.

1 hour ago, Coach said:

If I had 22 points I would be looking really hard at a rifle tag. Probably 3A/C or 23N. Maybe I just know a lot of lucky people but early archery bull for Unit 1 comes around every 5-7 years in my experience, and 3B can be 2-3 years.

As many have said, Unit 1 is declining for sure because of all the fires and higher kill rates in later hunts. Best of luck - you get to pretty much pick your hunt, but it's not going to be easy whatever you choose.

That is pure luck