KH1911

Advice for tripod

Hello all, my wife wants to buy me a tripod as a belated Xmas gift. I’m new to this so any suggestions are appreciated. She has talked to the outdoorsman for their tripod but I told her they are to expensive (I never claimed to be smart) and I would rather buy a non outdoorsman tripod and have some cash left over to put towards Swaros or Meopta 12’s or 15’s.  What tripod do you all recommend in the sub $150 area?                                                               REQUIREMENTS                                                       - Less than or very close to $150 

- I’m able to stand up to glass I am 6’1”

- not too heavy

- head included With the $150 tripod

- QD attachment is convenient 

I like the Slik 330ez but it is about 5 inches to short to stand.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!! 

Asking a lot for $150 for anything of quality. Resell sucks on tripods so I would suggest getting what you want from the start.

• Like 2

Get the slik and spend the extra $25 on their center post extender. Problem solved. 

• Like 1

By a used outdoorsman. Still going to be pricey but it’s the last tripod you will need. Hunting season is only another month for the most part and you have a long period after that to save for your swaro’s. 

• Like 1

Tall order at $150...try looking qt Sportsman's Warehouse or lurk on Craigslist.  I have a Manfrotto 290 Carbon.  Was more than you want to spend, but light to me.  Used maybe the way to go.

If you are spending the money on Swarovski or Meopta , make sure you buy a good stable tripod.  Binos don’t bounce very well.  

Vanguard 263 and 264 are a pretty good value.  Not the lightest option but they are stable.  

My vanguard did well but was probably closer to $200.

I upgraded to the promaster 525 this year and it’s $250. I really like it. The head isn’t bad for what comes with it. I originally planned to switch to an Outsoorsman pan head but not sure there is really a reason too.

As far as outdoorsman’s tripods, they are insanely expensive; by the time you set them up with a head and quick connect etc. most guys are into them for a grand. IMO that’s way too much money for an aluminum tripod when there are so many less expensive carbon options out there.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Not sure on price but I use the Slik Carbon Fiber 634CF

• Like 1

Would you skimp on a cheap set of rings to mount a $1000 scope on a rifle?  No.

Don't skimp on a tripod that will hold your $1000-2000 binos either.  

I have two Manfrottos.  A Carbon fiber that goes everywhere with me for my 10s and 15s, and an aluminum for my spotter when glassing fairly close to my truck.  

• Like 1

I have a couple of pro master 525s and they are pretty nice, but will prolly be a little short for anyone over 6 foot.  They are going up for sale soon.  

I’ll can also sell you a Vanguard 263 with a Manfrotto 700 RC2 fluid head for $125.  PM me if you are interested.  If you are in the Tucson area, you are welcome to grab either one and field test them. 

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Would you skimp on a cheap set of rings to mount a $1000 scope on a rifle?  No.

Don't skimp on a tripod that will hold your $1000-2000 binos either.  

I have two Manfrottos.  A Carbon fiber that goes everywhere with me for my 10s and 15s, and an aluminum for my spotter when glassing fairly close to my truck.  

Bingo, Lance nailed it.

3 hours ago, rossislider said:

I think the Vanguard 264 AO will be your best bet in that price range.

Agreed, I have two of these and the head is pretty smooth.  $139 off amazon 

• Like 1