KH1911

Advice for tripod

6 hours ago, Mathews said:

Get the slik and spend the extra $25 on their center post extender. Problem solved. 

Any chance you have a link I have googled everything I can and can’t fink a “Slik 330ez” extension. 

4 hours ago, no worries said:

I have a couple of pro master 525s and they are pretty nice, but will prolly be a little short for anyone over 6 foot.  They are going up for sale soon.  

I’ll can also sell you a Vanguard 263 with a Manfrotto 700 RC2 fluid head for $125.  PM me if you are interested.  If you are in the Tucson area, you are welcome to grab either one and field test them. 

How much for the pro masters?

In my experience, one thing to remember, the higher you go with the tripod, the less stable it will be.  Regardless of manufactuer or material. I’m 6’0 and when my tripod is set to glass while standing, I notice the little vibrations more. The tripod is much more stable at a lower profile, i.e., when you’re sitting on a chair or your butt. 

Just something to consider if you’re having difficulty finding a tripod tall enough for you. Plus you can glass much longer sitting down! 😎

• Like 1

Manfrotto 190x for me about double your budget with the head. Buy once cry once. I'd rather have decent glass on a good tripod than great glass on a crappy tripod.

• Like 2

I have a vortex ridge view bought new around 12-15 years ago I guess. It’s akways worked and when it didn’t I called vortex and had new stuff within a few days for free. When I got the new swaro’s with outdoorsmans mount it’s a bit to low for me. I’m 6’1” oh and I guess the ridgeline is discontinued so yeah...

Manfrotto 190( I think sportsmans sells them for $140.00) but you have to buy a head for it. If you are using the tripod for just binos get the 700rc2. If you plan on using a spotter, look at the 128rc. Its heavier but stronger. Definately look through craigslist. I found a manfrotto carbon for $100.00. Great tripod

I just bought a Manfretto 290 Carbon and a Pro Master SPCH 20 Fluid head but it was a bit over your budget.

The 290 kit with a fluid panhead can be had for under $200

Now I have a 724cf and a 624cf 

the 724cf for closer to the truck and heavier optics with the option of being able to stand and look through my spotting scope. I’m 6’4” .

the 624cf for hiking and lighter optics that I would be packing around all day or a ways away from truck. Isn’t tall enough for me to use stand but rarely if ever do I stand and glass in the field. Only time I stand and glass would be if I was quickly glassing from the road for something. 

For my liking I go with light and glass sitting. I have been using a Vanguard Espod 232CB unfortunately they now longer make it. The closest current tripod is the Alta Plus 233AO 1.6lbs $140.00. IMG_0792.thumb.JPG.8442e32dbd78b35ac8bcc07b046a2e5c.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

On 1/4/2019 at 4:08 PM, KH1911 said:

Any chance you have a link I have googled everything I can and can’t fink a “Slik 330ez” extension. 

SLIK Complete Tripod Pro 700DX Amt Tripod with 3-Way Pan and tilt Head Silver (615.315) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EXF38/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HTLmCb4M6Y2D9

can’t find it, but this one extends to like 6’ 6”