Sign in to follow this  
longbowpilot

3 points- early archery?

Have 3 points for elk, is there any chance of getting an early bull archery tag in any unit?  Was thinking about 6A but looks like draw odds about 16%.  Didn't know if there was the slightest chance I could get drawn. 

There probably are not any guaranteed early archery bull tags with 3 points. That being said, there is a chance of drawing any tag, statewide in the random draw

It happens. I drew an early tag in 1 five years ago with three points. 

• Like 1

Just pick a unit and apply. Your odds won’t be over 20% in any of the traditional units.

• Like 1

Not guaranteed but I’ve drawn early with 1,7, and now sitting on 11. Obviously trying better units with 11 but had great hunts withn1 and 7. Good luck. 

Gotta play the game. Just like lottery which i don't play. In 1996 there was 40 or 50 tags unit 1 Early rifle Bull. I had 3 points and drew it.   ,,,,Miricle ,it was one of the worst drought years in history, The guides still talk about it. I had a great hunt . Didn't know what I was looking at or for. But if You found water ,You found elk. 2nd nite ,2 bulls fighting on the Rez. 1 came in My meadow. then went back to the Rez. He was fighting another Bull , You could here it but not see it. I made up My mind If He came back out ,He's dead. He must of won the battle. He came back to 35 cows and 5 smaller Bulls But never got the chance to get laid. 80 yards  1 shot  Bob !   Done Deal, it can happen. You don't need all them Bogus points Thats why next year I am done with Wyoming. I didn't know how to score back then. But the Bull went a pinch over 330. I was Happy for first Bull. He has been displayed on the wall at Trailhead Outdoors on 35th ave few blocks north of Thomas  for 22 years now as My old house in Cave Creek had low ceilings. Someday I will get Him home. I have 2 bulls ,1- 330, 1-331 . Botth big tops and main beams, but short front 4. Play the game and win and Hunt. Play a couple  States to up Your odds...........BOB!

double the points you have and then you should have a 100% of getting drawn- it takes 6 points to have 100% - and THIS IS BASED ON LAST YEAR, until then, your odds are less than 15% for pretty much every "lesser" unit except some of the limited opportunity hunts. 

While the # of apps per unit stays consistent from year to year,  the number of applications in a year can shift draw odd and those with more points can jump around. 

Did everyone hear a 490 bull was killed in unit 6? LOL if everyone was to apply for 6 the odds for that hunt go way down, but the others will go up.

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate the insight.  Gonna put in for the early archery and hopefully get lucky. 

So with hunter numbers on the decline and AZ elk population increasing could that mean better chances at drawing tags in the future? (just throwing the idea out there)

https://www.grandcanyonnews.com/news/2018/apr/03/nationwide-decline-hunters-may-mean-less-funding-c/

21 hours ago, longbowpilot said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate the insight.  Gonna put in for the early archery and hopefully get lucky. 

So with hunter numbers on the decline and AZ elk population increasing could that mean better chances at drawing tags in the future? (just throwing the idea out there)

https://www.grandcanyonnews.com/news/2018/apr/03/nationwide-decline-hunters-may-mean-less-funding-c/

Haven’t seen if you’re a resident or not but if you are With 22 points and early archery remember that you WILL draw your first choice and have no shot at your second choice.   

Bottom line is you have waited a long time so pick the type of hunt you want and enjoy it     Any of the top units could produce the biggest bull of the year so you really cant go wrong 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, Redman said:

double the points you have and then you should have a 100% of getting drawn- it takes 6 points to have 100% - and THIS IS BASED ON LAST YEAR, until then, your odds are less than 15% for pretty much every "lesser" unit except some of the limited opportunity hunts. 

While the # of apps per unit stays consistent from year to year,  the number of applications in a year can shift draw odd and those with more points can jump around. 

Did everyone hear a 490 bull was killed in unit 6? LOL if everyone was to apply for 6 the odds for that hunt go way down, but the others will go up.

I'm sitting on 6 pts and don't see any early archery hunts with 100%, or even close.  5bs is my favorite and it looks like 10% ish.  What am I missing?

12 hours ago, tomharveyb said:

I'm sitting on 6 pts and don't see any early archery hunts with 100%, or even close.  5bs is my favorite and it looks like 10% ish.  What am I missing?

I am not sure what you are looking at, but I am looking at  the odds published by Hunters TrailHead there are units with 100% draw odds.