rpowell600

First Time Javelina Hunting Question

22 hours ago, ThomC said:

Javelina have evolved because of the increased pressure of millions of hunters chasing them for 2 months.  The Javelina that used to sleep all night and venture out on sunny hillsides in the morning are dead.  Now days they eat at night and hide out in the day, mostly.  Think of them as rabbits now and look in the thick stuff.  Or scout out a herd that is miles from a road and largely undisturbed by the hordes of bow and arrow carriers out there.😊

Unfortunately actually becoming the truth rapidly. 

We used to hunt javelina a lot near Oracle. Lots of cattle. Found javelina around them many times. One particular long weekend hunting them, we would laugh and say "better glass that herd of cows" because we were finding pigs feeding with the cows so often. It made it more difficult to sneak in, as the cows were kind of jumpy and would alert the pigs. We would have to wait for cows to move from behind a pig to get a shot. It seemed the pigs were using the cows as lookouts. 

Last weekend, in a heavily hunted area, I saw a good sized herd of pigs feeding on the south slope, in the sun, in typical pig fashion. I helped a younger hunter, I just met, get in on them. He was able to get two shots, but missed. It was fun to watch through the binos.

I didn't even apply for pig this here. I haven't been that excited about dealing with a dead, stinky pig for a few years now. I've often thought it would be a blast to hunt them with a paintball gun. 😁

• Like 3

On 1/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, Viper said:

We used to hunt javelina a lot near Oracle. Lots of cattle. Found javelina around them many times. One particular long weekend hunting them, we would laugh and say "better glass that herd of cows" because we were finding pigs feeding with the cows so often. It made it more difficult to sneak in, as the cows were kind of jumpy and would alert the pigs. We would have to wait for cows to move from behind a pig to get a shot. It seemed the pigs were using the cows as lookouts. 

Last weekend, in a heavily hunted area, I saw a good sized herd of pigs feeding on the south slope, in the sun, in typical pig fashion. I helped a younger hunter, I just met, get in on them. He was able to get two shots, but missed. It was fun to watch through the binos.

I didn't even apply for pig this here. I haven't been that excited about dealing with a dead, stinky pig for a few years now. I've often thought it would be a blast to hunt them with a paintball gun. 😁

I actually appreciate that. I wish more guys that felt that way, would do the right thing and do what you do.

Been wondering about this topic myself, haven't seen much sign scouting but lots of cattle in the area. Was wondering if the cows would push them out of an area but doesn't sound like it 

I know a couple of herds that will bed under the trees and brush within a few yards of cattle. Pretty much living them. Also have a couple others that seem to vacate the immediate vicinity when the cows show up. Head scratcher for me on why it's one way or the other.

We been glassing heard in the open in sunny hill sides. Has more to do with the temp. The closer to 30 and clear sky’s the more likely they are to be out. And these are groups I’ve been chasing around the same general area for the last 15 years. 

• Like 1

Are a lot of you guys seeing less Javelina/Javelina activity? I am kind of getting that feed back from A LOT of sources this year. I know we hunted 3 known areas hard this year and saw one sounder of 3 pigs. Was absolutely crazy. Hunted hard too, 8-10 hour days from dawn till dusk.(3 glassers) Everything was very green, but locals said it was a VERY dry year over all I guess? Just wondering what you guys think