Sign in to follow this  
jebuwh

***POST HUNT UPDATE First time hunter, and a Coues first timer

Got to talking about hunting with my brother in law at Christmas this year, and he mentioned he really wants to start hunting but doesn't know anyone to go with. Asked if I would be interested in an AZ Coues hunt. Obviously I said yes.

So we are putting in for rifle tags this year. I told him all he needs are good boots, a pack, and a rifle(helping him buy his first shortly) and I'll bring everything else.

The one thing I can't bring is any Coues deer hunting knowledge. I've been reading on here, Gohunt, and any other forums, blogs and whatever trying to learn what I can.

Any suggestions on unit? We are planning on backpacking in to get away from the crowds if possible.

I know that's the worst thing to ask. I am more than willing to trade any Utah hunting info I can, elk, deer, ect. Thanks in advance. This site has been a huge help so far.

**Update** We drew Unit 32 for the late Nov/early Dec hunt. We are super excited to get after it. I have done a ton of research and reading, and have a few spots narrowed down, but I would love to bounce that off anyone who knows the area well. I would be extremely grateful!

Agree with all above, I think Prdtr meant to say book a glassing class with Duwane, probably auto corrected.   Binos on a tripod are a must. 15s are the standard although some guys use 12s. I personally recomend 15s. Look up old threads on glassing,  that's the most useful info to you. Southern units have way more deer then the northern units and are easier to draw. Have a good magnification scope and a caliber that can reach out there. 300 yard plus shots are sometimes all you have so be prepared.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Agree with all above, I think Prdtr meant to say book a glassing class with Duwane, probably auto corrected.   Binos on a tripod are a must. 15s are the standard although some guys use 12s. I personally recomend 15s. Look up old threads on glassing,  that's the most useful info to you. Southern units have way more deer then the northern units and are easier to draw. Have a good magnification scope and a caliber that can reach out there. 300 yard plus shots are sometimes all you have so be prepared.  

I've been in canyons in southern AZ where 300 yards was a close shot.

• Like 3

Pick the unit you can scout the most not the one someone else likes unless they are scouting for you and telling you where to go.  If you can spend a lot of time in the unit you will find deer and hopefully figure out the best places to get a shot.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Welcome to CWT.

Buy and read this, the Coues Deer Bible. Then get in touch with Tony and book a day of glassing with him. It will save you years  trial and error knowledge.

Chris

https://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Coues-Deer-Duwane-Adams/dp/B000MLYYAE

Don’t know about Tony...but book a glassing day with Duwane and you can learn years’ worth in a day...still on my bucket list. 

And +1 on the book...I’ve re-read it so many times I can’t remember. 

Unit...depends on your location. If you’re coming from UT and your buddy from CA one of the units near Phx might be a logical midpoint to meet. Some folks prefer the southern units for coues if traveling to Tucson works for both of you. 

Thanks everyone for the help. These forums have been great!

Yeah I'll be coming from UT and he actually lives in Phoenix. Pretty much no scouting possible unfortunately. I going to try to make it down once, but mostly to set him up with gear and rifle, but I will definitely send him to a glassing day for sure.

I'm looking at 24a, just being close to where he is at, or the most southern units we can draw the latest November hunt with 0 points?

I would head further south. easier draw more  deer. get up high in the dark. glass. there is show meateater on netlix with a couple coues hunts. until you get used to spotting them it is hard. I would get the rifle that's shoots the best 400 yard groups.

Thank you all for the help. Gives us somewhere to start! Can't wait to get to hunting down there. Such gorgeous country and animals.

Really though if anyone on here is interested in archery elk in Utah, OTC tags, I will give you any info i can.

• Like 1

Put in for unit 33. Chances for a tag are good. 33 is a deer factory. Lots of deer and if you work hard, a chance at a good buck. If drawn, let me know. I'll put you on some deer.

14 hours ago, Duggaboy said:

Put in for unit 33. Chances for a tag are good. 33 is a deer factory. Lots of deer and if you work hard, a chance at a good buck. If drawn, let me know. I'll put you on some deer.

I appreciate it! Thank you. We're definitely going to shoot for the moon on draw, and pick up a leftover if we don't win the lottery.

Well I got a credit card hit for 945 dollars, so we are headed somewhere! We're pumped! I'm interested to find out what we drew, as the first two choices were pretty much long shots.

• Like 2