Tommytomtoes

Units 36a, b, c hunt #5097

Has anybody hunted units 36a,b,c for javelina? On day 6 and still haven’t seen even one. Just looking for a point in the right direction. Also, I’m relatively new to hunting in Arizona. How far should I hunt away from main water sources such as tanks? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

There is water all over the place so I wouldn't worry too much about the tanks.  I would glass the south facing hill sides at first light .  If it's cold they will want to warm up.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kaffer62 said:

There is water all over the place so I wouldn't worry too much about the tanks.  I would glass the south facing hill sides at first light .  If it's cold they will want to warm up.  

Have you hunted these units? Any idea on the better areas? Or where to stay away from?

I haven't been in the 36"s in a while, not sure how tall the grass is but it can make it harder to find them when the grass is tall, so I like to look at the south side of the hills were there is less grass - if you are not glassing with a tripod then you are making it much harder 

• Like 3

With this rain, a decent tactic could be to spend a little time in ANY wash or drainage and look for fresh tracks.  I would recommend walking the wash/drainage and look broadly (middle & sides of wash......).  If you spend much time doing that, you will probably come across some fairly fresh tracks.  The rodents will likely be within 1/2 mile to a mile.  Then focus on that area.  Either glass if the country permits, or just put your nose into the wind and still-hunt/stalk.

Any of the washes/drainage's in the Arivaca area would be a good place to start.

Good luck!!

S.

• Like 4

Very good advice on looking for fresh tracks with the recent rains. Start looking for deer and you’ll find them...at least that’s been my experience in 36a. Always find javelina when I’m hunting deer. LoL

• Like 1

What unit have you been hunting?  I have only hunted 36B and have seen them every time we go out glassing for deer.  We pretty much stick to the southern portion of the unit.

Arivaca area has quite a few pigs.  They do not water all that much imo. Their main diet is roots which store water.  start walking washes until you find some tracks and then know that chances are the pigs are within a mile of where you are at.

2 hours ago, My Rights As An American said:

Saw them each day for 3 days in those units. Wind kept messing me up though. Plenty out there. Lots of great advice already given here that I follow religiously. 

It sounds like I’m not getting far enough away from the tanks. All I’m seeing is cows and a few deer here and there. 

Never been in those areas. PM some of these guys that are seeing herds daily and see if they will give up a glassing point? They're not going to do that in an open forum if they're smart. Hunters helping hunters. If they do give you an area stay of the varmint call bull$h!t. That will ruin an area real quick, sometimes even into the future.