CATERPILLAR

Technology and Animal Quality

Does anyone else think that the total number of above average animals (deer and elk) in Arizona is lower than it used to be? I think more above average animals and just any animal in general are being harvested each year due to advancements in technology. It wasn't long ago when many bulls and bucks survive a hunt if they were over 400 yards from a hunter. No it seems that anything within 4-600 is going to get shot at and most likely be hit. Archery hunters are shooting elk and deer at 80-90+ yards also. I'm not against the long shots I was just wondering if others think technology is out pacing animal sustainability and how would this effect AZ hunting?

• Like 1

It's not just technology, its mostly tag numbers. Pull up regs from 10-15 years ago and look at the amount of tags then vs now. It's insane. More tags=less and younger animals. The Game and Fish have increased opportunity an decreased quality just like they said they were going to.

• Like 5

And think about all the development and people moving to Arizona!!!

• Like 1

People also put a lot more effort into scounting and practicing with there weapon than they used to. 

But it still records are broke every year. 

People are putting in more effort, time and money to kill big animals now than ever before. Hunting used to be more about comaraderie and filling the freezer than it is now. Now everyone just wants a picture next to a big animal so they can get likes on instagram. 

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

People are putting in more effort, time and money to kill big animals now than ever before. Hunting used to be more about comaraderie and filling the freezer than it is now. Now everyone just wants a picture next to a big animal so they can get likes on instagram. 

Not every one. I’m young I have no social media. I put a ton of effort scouting and shooting. And typical shoot the first thing that gives me the chance. 

I cant be the only one. 

• Like 2

I don’t think they’re really managing for quality anymore for the most part. Too many hunters, too many lions, too much long shooting. My buck wasn’t a trophy but I did feel like I kinda cheated shooting him from 550. 10 years ago I never could have killed him where he was at.

4 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Not every one. I’m young I have no social media. I put a ton of effort scouting and shooting. And typical shoot the first thing that gives me the chance. 

I cant be the only one. 

Arizona is getting hit harder from an influx of out of state hunters due to social media than any other state by far. Our OTC deer hunt is turning into a shoot show 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Arizona is getting hit harder from an influx of out of state hunters due to social media than any other state by far. Our OTC deer hunt is turning into a shoot show 

In some places. For sure. But I read that Colorado was a zoo the last few years. Especially guys backpacking in the high country. 

I ran into a group camping in 20c last January from Minnesota. All they did was complain about how cold it was. They were not impressed with the deer numbers I kinda doubt they’ll be back. But they were glassing from the road. I have just hiked back to my vehicle thru “their” glassing area.  They never saw me till I came driving up. I assumed they didn’t see the bucks I was after either. I chucked and went on my way. 

• Like 1

I have personally talked to people that have passed up smaller animals just so they could have a bigger animal for social media purposes. Arizona is nothing like Colorado as far as wilderness and places for animals to get away from hunters goes. Most units in Az have prime areas for long range hunting and a lot of people know about them and pass that info on to others. I personally think less tags need to given out or else the animals will not be able to recover from hunters new abilities to harvest them from longer distances.

• Like 2

As far as social media and out of state hunters go, I do not share any info on the internet to any one, unless I can send a PM, doing this is just asking for more people to be in your favorite hunting spot on opening day. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Arizona is nothing like Colorado as far as wilderness and places for animals to get away from hunters goes. Most units in Az have p

Colorado as well as Utah have lots and I mean lots of prime summer range for game but winter range gets eliminated by development every year. In those states winter range is the constraining factor.

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

I don’t think they’re really managing for quality anymore for the most part. Too many hunters, too many lions, too much long shooting. My buck wasn’t a trophy but I did feel like I kinda cheated shooting him from 550. 10 years ago I never could have killed him where he was at. 

Arizona has to feed the wolves now also. Deer and Elk fill that bill.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, photofool said:

Arizona has to feed the wolves now also. Deer and Elk fill that bill.

We have a grip of lions. Basically the animals have it rough here