RodinAZ

7mm Mag or 300 WM ?

If you're already set up to handload the 7mm, I'd go that route. Both great chamberings but no sense "re-inventing the wheel" per-se, unless you just want a little more variety on hand. 

If starting from scratch, given what you are looking at, I'd recommend .300 WSM. IMO, the best do-all round.  

• Like 1

Love the 300 wm. Go w 300!!

do something different go 300 wm. Here is a 3 shot group at 100 yds w factory ammo Barnes 180 ttxp all Copper and the bullet after killing a stud 130 plus coues at 600 yards. 

57D438E6-254A-48A4-B2B4-3414E3D838C4.jpeg

32FB16E1-1DD3-40A2-8038-6F2594DC474B.jpeg

• Like 1

In the early 80's, when I was looking to buy a gun and start hunting again I was told to get a .270, 30-06, or a 7mm mag, and I could hunt anything in Arizona, probably still true today.

I favor the 300 WM for all around gun.  My current 300WM custom started life as a 7MM RM BDL.  I like the big heavy's in the .30 Cal but you can't really go wrong either way.

If you are going to use a brake or suppressor, I would choose the 300WM.  The back of my unsubstantiated mind would prefer the bigger frontal area of the 30 cal bullets for elk and fatty bears. If no brake, then choose the 7mm Rem Mag for less recoil.  It will kill elk and bears too.  I have had both unbraked and prefer the lesser recoil of the 7RM.  If you are considering the hells Canyon, note the faster wist rates of the Long Range and McMillan versions ( I did not see that noted with the regular HC Speed rifle)

I used my Win .270 for 20+ years and was successful with it.  In 2018 I decided to up my game and went with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless chambered in 7MM RM.  Worked up a load using 160gr Nosler Accubonds.  Practiced, Practiced, Practiced (140+ rounds down the new barrel).

One shot harvest on a NM Coues WT at 400 yards.

One shot harvest on a AZ Muley at 416 yards.

I'm very pleased.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to stick with the 7mm since you already have all the stuff. Truth be told unless you plan on shooting extended ranges and doing so with bullets over 200gr you or the animals you kill with it will never know the difference.  

• Like 1

Close your eyes and pic one

They are very similar cartridges ballistically. Depending on what you want to do with the rifle, they have their ups and downs. In my personal experience, the 7 mag is superior to the 300 win mag in almost every way. The 7 mag holds less powder, and has less recoil. The 7 mag shoots bullets with higher bc's than the 300 win mag, which equates to less drop and wind drift. From 0-500 or 600 yards the 300 win mag will have a slight edge in fps and energy over the 7 mag. However, beyond that the 7 mag exceeds the 300 win mag in both fps and energy. So if you want a sub 500-600 yard rifle the 300 win mag may be better suited for you, if you don't mind the recoil. But if you want to shoot further than 500-600 yards, the 7 mag is the way to go.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PowellSixO said:

They are very similar cartridges ballistically. Depending on what you want to do with the rifle, they have their ups and downs. In my personal experience, the 7 mag is superior to the 300 win mag in almost every way. The 7 mag holds less powder, and has less recoil. The 7 mag shoots bullets with higher bc's than the 300 win mag, which equates to less drop and wind drift. From 0-500 or 600 yards the 300 win mag will have a slight edge in fps and energy over the 7 mag. However, beyond that the 7 mag exceeds the 300 win mag in both fps and energy. So if you want a sub 500-600 yard rifle the 300 win mag may be better suited for you, if you don't mind the recoil. But if you want to shoot further than 500-600 yards, the 7 mag is the way to go.  

Serious?

• Like 1