RodinAZ

7mm Mag or 300 WM ?

44 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Serious?

Yes. 

Edit: I might be a little off on where the 7 mag exceeds the win mag, but in most of my testing the 7 mag bested the win mag at 600 yards. 

If you compare a factory 162gr 7mm eldx ammo to a 200gr 300 eldx ammo at 800 they’re almost identical as far as drop and fps but the 200gr has 300lbs more energy 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

If you compare a factory 162gr 7mm eldx ammo to a 200gr 300 eldx ammo at 800 they’re almost identical as far as drop and fps but the 200gr has 300lbs more energy 

Yep, but beyond that what happens? 

And you're comparing a 162 to a 200 grain bullet. Get those bullet weights closer together and see what happens. For example. Run a 195 berger eol vs a 210 vld (heaviest hunting bullet sold by berger for each bullet diameter), and see what happens. The 7mm really starts to shine. 

32 minutes ago, PowellSixO said:

Yep, but beyond that what happens? 

And you're comparing a 162 to a 200 grain bullet. Get those bullet weights closer together and see what happens. For example. Run a 195 berger eol vs a 210 vld (heaviest hunting bullet sold by berger for each bullet diameter), and see what happens. The 7mm really starts to shine. 

215 or 230 Hybrid

• Like 3

Go to this website and read what they have to say about both cartridges and then make a decision, www.ballisticstudies.com. Read their terminal ballistics research info. Seems to me the 300WM kills faster than the 7RM, after all killing is what you want. I would pick killing speed over BC any day. 200 gr bullet from a 300WM will out perform anything a 7mm mag can shoot in my experience of using both, I don't really care about all the BC hype, faster kills at any range is what we should all want.

The 7mm mag does it all with less powder. 180gr Berger hybrid at over 2900fps and you can watch the hit in the scope... pretty dang sweet! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CraigK said:

The 7mm mag does it all with less powder. 180gr Berger hybrid at over 2900fps and you can watch the hit in the scope... pretty dang sweet! 

Imagine that same bullet in a 28 nosler at 3200 fps....🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

16 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Imagine that same bullet in a 28 nosler at 3200 fps....🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

The 28 is awesome!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 6:56 AM, PowellSixO said:

So if you want a sub 500-600 yard rifle the 300 win mag may be better suited for you, if you don't mind the recoil. But if you want to shoot further than 500-600 yards, the 7 mag is the way to go.  

This has to be one of the funniest things i have read on a forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Especially when its built by your cousin!

Ha! Definitely. He builds some amazing rifles. I’m pretty blessed to be related to him. I have a want list for rifles from him... unfortunately I just need the finances to make it happen.