Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

My NAU Son looking for job in Flagstaff -- CWT Family anything?

My son goes to NAU and hes ready to look for a job.  I told him to wait out the first semester to get settled in and now he has Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon off every week.  Looking for some part time work on the weekends, not during the week.  Hoping to find something that hes into.  Hes a good kid, received scholarship for grades, has his EMT License, great landscaper, (sprinklers, clocks, pretty much anything), amazing fisherman and hunter, loves animals, and is very reliable, etc.   He would kill to work at the bow shop up there but that's a LONG shot.  Several guys on here know my son and can put several referrals in.  If you have anything that fits this let me know before he jumps in the fast food world. He has a reliable truck to get him to work. Flagstaff is small so its who you know not what you know.   Thx guys 

j3.jpg

j4.png

J7.jpg

j5.png

J8.png

j2.png

j10.jpg

• Like 1

Someone get this kid hooked up with a job up there. I’ve had Junior our to my property the last few years hunting dove and he’s top notch. Polite, respectful, safe, and a great kid. I guarantee he would be a great addition to someone’s company up there. 

A. Solid work on setting up the schedule like that. I did the same when I was at NAU. It rocked.

B. Apply at Home Depot. They were big on hiring college kids, and it was a good job with competitive pay when I worked there. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

A. Solid work on setting up the schedule like that. I did the same when I was at NAU. It rocked.

B. Apply at Home Depot. They were big on hiring college kids, and it was a good job with competitive pay when I worked there. 

Same with my kid up there.......

When I went to school up there a few years back I had a few odd jobs:

-Warners Nursery landscaping.

-Self employed yard maintenance, tree removal, snow removal.

-Cut and sold firewood (hard work)

-Ran errands for a local real estate office.

Has he thought about working at Sportsmans Warehouse? Or starting his own yard maintenance company? Maybe the Hook Up or Arizona Fishing Guides need someone located in that area? There are tons of really neat companies up there to look into: Kenetic Defense, Side Armor (makes holsters and firearm accessories), GORE, Vintage Offroad (super awesome company refurbishes old Land Cruisers and the like), Canyon Coolers. Hopefully this gives you a few ideas. Also look into joining a club or two to meet new people with similar interests. There should still be a fishing club which I started to compete in the FLW College Fishing Series, and I also happen to know that there is an Archery Club. Good Luck!

• Like 1

On a side note, I actually regret working as much as I did when I was in school. I decided to focus more on working and meeting chicks than School. One of the biggest regrets of my life, as I didn't graduate. 

I went to NAU and worked in several construction areas. With your son's school schedule, he would probably do well contacting contractors for weekend project clean-up projects

Aside from the stuff I've mentioned, he can also look into Flagstaff Athletic Club for general work, unless he wants to get certified to teach/coach a class.  I'll keep my ears open and I'll also back up the fact that Travis Jr. is a good, respectable, young man.  I'll do what I can to help him and we'll work on getting him into some house sitting for us.

If I ever get back to work, he can swing by my office anytime he needs something, too!

I'll risk going against the conventional wisdom, and advise that it is mostly a bad idea - at least the first two years.  How serious is he about academics?  Was he in GATE or mostly AP in H.S.?  Will he be taking a heavy load of math and science?  My recommendation would be for him to be dead serious in getting the core classes out of the way.  Bonehead English used to wash out a lot of kids - it can require more mental effort than you would think.  If he gets a job after two years, my advice would be some sort of work study or one of the labs at the school, associated with his major.  It won't pay as much, but the hours will be more user friendly and he will have the advantage of networking with professors and upper level students, and may get his name on some publications as a co-author. 

When I went there, before I switched to U of A, the student body was only 12k, but the academic standards were relatively high.  Ditto competition for grades.    Undergrad. professors were all excellent, but demanded a LOT.

There are enough temptations at NAU that can derail the best of intentions if he isn't careful. 

Best of luck.

forepaw

• Like 1

dang lost my phone been wanting to post on here about Travis junior. I had the opportunity to meet with Travis he help me out tremendously on my hunt and are now friends kids a super hard worker and has heart and a true passion for the outdoors. I can honestly say it's nice to meet such a good kid and respectful.if he was down in the valley he would be running a crew for me in a heart beat.

One of the posts mentioned employment at Gore.  In the event he does go to work, and is able to get hired on there, he should check the benefit on reduced price Sitka clothing for employees.  Not sure if this would apply to part-timers.  I hunted with some guys in 2014, one of whom worked there, and he talked about the great discounts for Gore employees on Sitka stuff.  I decided right then and there, to never pay full price for anything from Sitka.  Who knows how many deals there are like that at various companies around the country. 

Anyway, that may have changed, but if not, it would be pretty nice benefit for employees who are hunters.

forepaw