Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Stumped.... HVAC

Just seeing if any HVAC guys can steer me in the right direction. My air handler in the attic blew a 3 amp fuse. I checked for shorts in the air handler and condenser outside. Nothing obvious.  The contactor looks good and I tested it. Got 14 ohms on the coil. I replaced fuse and if I run the fan only, the fuse is good.  Once the stat is moved to HEAT and the condenser turns on the fuse blows. Any suggestions?

Sounds like it could be the reversing valve. See if it blows the fuse if you turn the thermostat to cool. If it doesn't blow it could be the reversing valve. I am not an hvac guy but my reversing valve went out and it just wouldn't switch over to heat it wasn't blowing fuses.

The coil can be changed without the changing the valve. Hopefully its just that or a shorted wire that has rubbed to ground.

Need a wiring diagram. Does your reversing valve energize in cooling or heating? Could be compressor contactor, reversing valve, or shorted wire. 

• Like 1

Find out WHEN the reversing valve energizes. Then put the T-stat in the opposite mode, and turn the system on. If the system runs without popping the fuse, then you will likely have a bad reversing valve coil. If it blows when just the compressor comes on (and the reversing valve is supposed to be off), then you likely have a bad compressor contactor. It could still possibly be a bad wire, but those are hard to find unless it's a hard short. If it's a hard short, go out to the condensing unit, and check for resistance on each of the t-stat wires to your copper refrigerant lines. Make sure to kill power to the inside unit, and the outside unit first. If you read any resistance to ground (copper refrigerant lines) on any of the t-stat wires, you have found your grounded wire. 

Thanks for all the help. I think it’s the defrost control board. I’m going to swap it out and cross fingers. When fuse is replaced and when unit runs briefly, it is stuck on aux/defrost mode

• Like 1