Sign in to follow this  
Hgrimes

Upgrades

Was curious to see what you all thought in terms of upgrades I should make. I have a couple hundred dollars to spend and after my first few weekends mule deer hunting I know I want to make some changes. I have a fairly new bow, but it was a starter bow which was meant to be upgraded. I can shoot pretty accurately out to 60 yards (8-inch spread). However, I read that a drop rest is the most beneficial upgrade to improve accuracy since I currently have a wicker basket. Also, I would have enough money left over to invest in a single pin sight which would allow me to shoot out to possibly 70 - 80 yards. I do get somewhat confused with the multi pins but they aren't that big of a deal. 

I just upgraded my boots because of how difficult the terrain is here, but I primarily have Realtree patterned insulated camo to use. It is pretty dated (my dads from early 2000's I'm in college so I try to save wherever I can). I noticed this weekend while hiking how difficult it could be to hike with this heavy weighted jacket. As I hiked I found myself continuing to shed layers having to stop and throw my jacket into my bag and when the wind picked up put it back on. I was thinking about upgrading to some camo that allowed me to dump heat and ones that are wind resistant and ultra light. I considered Kuiu because it has a lifetime warranty and I experienced first hand how quickly the terrain out here tears up clothing. 

These two are my big considerations at the time and I'm curious if you all were in my position how you would spend the money and what you would recommend!

Guest akaspecials

Spend your money on gas and spend more time at the range and in the field. 8 inches at 60 yards is a huge spread. 

For what's it worth, the group I run with kills most of thier game under 40 yards. No need to shoot at the distances you are talking about, especially your first year out.  

Very first thing is a decent rangefinder.

Next, I think a good sight is money well spent. I like the IQ sights because they help you stay consistent with the retina lock.  Here's a link to some sales at Sierra trading post.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~iq/

If you go with a slider I'd do a two or three pin slider where you have a 20 and 30 yard then use the slider for further distances.  

Next would be arrows and broadheads.  Do a lot of broadheads research and you will find that slick trick and g5 Montec are the two most used. I recomend slick trick, I recently made the switch myself and am very happy with them. 

As far as arrows I also just switched to carbon express maxima.   I like the small diameter for less wind drift.  

• Like 1

The retina lock is a gimmick. It will have you looking back and forth between the cat eye and the pins.  Any standard 5 pin with max .19 pins and a kisser button and alittle proper coaching will serve a new bow hunter much better

unless your shooting heavy draw and a Very heavy arrow steer clear of mechanical broadheads. 100g slick trick standards are perfect. Any standard carbon arrow with the appropriate spine is fine. But most pro shops will under spine you be cause they think speed kills. Total arrow weight around 450. Will keep your bow quite and blew thru everting several times over.

every company is pushing the latest and greatest but truthfully in the last 5-8 years improvement to archery gears have been very minor most of the “innovations” are that of advertising. 

• Like 2

Some folks like drop away rests and there is plenty of upside. However, I still use a whisker biscuit on my hunting set up as I value the benefits it provides while stalking.  

Spend more ore time practicing as it takes a long time to be proficient shooting a bow.  Hunting with a bow is extra work on top of that.

8” at 60 isn’t terrible.  Don’t listen to that guy.  Keep practicing.  Spend your money on gas and time off.  Limit your shots to 40 and just get out as much as possible.  

• Like 1