CatfishKev

Sell and re buy or change caliber?

Got a youth rem 700 in 243 I'd like to either switch to 6.5 or 7mm08. It's the kids household starter gun. Was thinking sell and go for the ruger predator 6.5 or the ruger American 7mm08. But would It be more economical to just swap barrels? Is be looking for a sporter type or factory barrel, not a $$$ barrel. Not sure what I would need to do bolt wise either, change bolt face or what.  I know it's probably a dumb question but this sort of thing ain't my bag baby.  

Keep the .243! I use one as my back up rifle but actually enjoy shooting it more than most I have. Good for any deer or smaller, cow elk, maybe bull but I haven’t had a chance at that yet. I’d keep it and if you want something with more energry then buy it. But your .243 will work great til you can get something bigger.

It you want economical,,,,, Sell it and put the funds toward a Ruger Predator. Complete no brainer as a 6.5 will do everything a 7-08 will do.

• Like 1

I'd keep it but the other kids rifles shoot tighter groups with a little more punch.  Haven't had time to try a bunch of different types of ammo,  mostly because I'm always short on time. Not opposed to keeping it just wondering how much it would cost and what all is involved to just switch calibers.

If it's the kids' gun, have they grown that they need a longer stock to fit properly?  Then sell and get a rifle that fits them.

Do you have kids still needing the shorter youth stock or have a young one that will be starting soon?   keep it as nothing wrong with 243 for deer, antelope, coyotes.

You would not have to change the follower, rails or bolt face to go with a 7mm-08.  Cheapest route may be to find a take-off barrel and have a smith screw it on and set headspace, or sell and buy a RAR

Rebuild

If you want the best gun in the end rebarrel the Remington 700.  Same bolt face for 6.5 creed or 7-08.  Your looking at $250-330 for a barrel and $200-300 to get it chambered and put together.  I would get a new new trigger too

Another option would be to dress up what you have, new trigger, and quality stock will really help accuracy.

But if you buy a cheap gun you will want a better one later so my advice is buy something better Rugers.  They shoot descent but there is a reason they are priced where they are.

I’m going to have Southernexpress build me a 6.5 soon. I would go with a rechamber if you are looking for something to kill a elk or bear. The 243 might do it but the 6.5 is just a good all around cal. Pm Southernexpress 

https://grabagun.com/remington-700-sps-6-5creed-24-blk-syn.html

I’d start here and gradually get everything you want change.  We went this route for my kids and they absolutely love shooting their creedmoor with a brake on it.  My 10 y.o. son and my 12 y.o. daughter both shot bucks with it this year.  We went with a new, bedded stock, Timney Trigger, extended bolt knob (more leverage), side ported brake, and a Leupold 6.5-20 LRP.  The thing shoots lights out with our worked up load and just under .5” with Hornady 140 ELD-M factory loads.