L Cazador

selling guns and reloading stuff

I can't help but ask if anyone else has had problems selling stuff lately? Wow I mean trying to get a price that I'm asking is impossible! It seems you literally have to give away reloading stuff and forget about selling guns you're lucky to get anywhere near what you're asking? Should we blame this on Trump too, LOL?!! Do we need another Democrat in office, ugggh! Can't believe I said that! Sorry but I'm feeling very sick right now!!

It’s just the time of year, typically extra money has been spent on hunts in the fall and Christmas. Until folks start getting tax returns and draw results it’s slow selling stuff, but a great time to buy 😁

Reloading stuff has always been hard to sell, unless you're selling the Unicorn like Federal 215 match primers or h4350 powder. Maybe you are overpriced on the firearms?

• Like 1

I think it's because tastes in guns have changed.  15 years ago you spent around 700-900 dollars for a quality bolt action rifle.  Now it's about 300 dollars.  Most don't make the quality versions anymore.  The younger generation sees this and think it's silly to spend $500 for a used rifle.  If you look a pistols, a quality revolver from the 60s or 70s is laughed at when they can buy a brand spanking new M&P striker fire pistol for $300-$350 on special.  It breaks my heart to see this.  The one country in the world that should be proud of its guns has made just about all of them discount, dime store versions of what they used to be.  I stopped buying new from the manufacturer about 5 years ago.  

• Like 1

When I have a hard time selling something I eventually price it at what I told my wife I paid for it....only then it sells pretty quickly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, More D said:

When I have a hard time selling something I eventually price it at what I told my wife I played for it....only then it sells pretty quickly.

This makes me laugh!!

5 hours ago, Saguaro said:

I think it's because tastes in guns have changed.  15 years ago you spent around 700-900 dollars for a quality bolt action rifle.  Now it's about 300 dollars.  Most don't make the quality versions anymore.  The younger generation sees this and think it's silly to spend $500 for a used rifle.  If you look a pistols, a quality revolver from the 60s or 70s is laughed at when they can buy a brand spanking new M&P striker fire pistol for $300-$350 on special.  It breaks my heart to see this.  The one country in the world that should be proud of its guns has made just about all of them discount, dime store versions of what they used to be.  I stopped buying new from the manufacturer about 5 years ago.  

Saguaro you have a good point. We're going through a generation change and the guns that are being bought today are $300-500 firearms. Anything higher is just not justifiable for our younger generation. I think the reloading thing is also generation change. The craze of the 6.5 Creed is all about grabbing a box of ammo off the shelf that shoots pretty decent in a fairly inexpensive rifle so why reload. Every body has good points. Thanks for the feed back. I especially like the one about selling it for what you told the wife you paid for it, LOL:lol:!

theres 2 parts to this.

#1 everyone wants to sell there stuff for just under new cost saving the tax they say., but when the same person wants to buy something they want it at 50% of new cost.

#2 the other problem is most people bought guns when the looney toons were in office and they expect the prices to stay the same.

good example is ruger #1's they still make them why would I buy a used one for 100 bucks less than the price of a new one?, ruger 77rs people ar selling them used for 600 and up they aint worth more than $400 same with the older Remington 700 bdl's, 1100 shotguns glock pistols etc etc. they are generic guns, now if your talking a nice winchester old school 101, 1960's and early 70's era Charles daily O/U, or a pre 64 winchester even a older revolver thats a different story.

I dont bitch about prices, if I like the gun i'll buy it.

as far as the younger generation its of no interest  to them unless it is Tactical or black. (with the exception of Longshooter he likes them if there Black  ;)  ;)

• Like 1

as far as the younger generation its of no interest  to them unless it is Tactical or black. 

That's true.  They just don't know what's out there.  I spend most of my time reading and learning the history of guns past and present.  If I'm reading a book, it has something to do with guns.  It all started when a girlfriend gave me a book about guns for a present once and now I can't get enough.  A good gift for a gun guy is a book and they can see what their missing.

To me, there's nothing wrong with used guns.  Sometimes that's all you can get if you want a nice pistol like the Python or Sig Hammerli or a good lever action center fire rifle.  I remember I went shooting with a young 20 something guy a few years ago and brought a Winchester model 52 rifle my dad had sporterized and let the lad shoot it.  He had no idea there was a 22 out there like it.  He loved it.  I explained that he doesn't have to buy Ruger, Remington or the like. And there's others like this one and Remington 40x, Anschutz, and Cooper that make good 22s.  And to keep an eye out for a good used one and he should have a real nice rifle to have forever.

Still brings tears to my eyes every time I hear the word Python.  Had a beautiful 6" blue and I needed money for college.  Sold it for $400.  This was the old days when you put it in classifieds ads in paper.  A guy called me at 5:00 am the morning it was first listed and it was his by 5:30.  Man I regret that.  

• Like 1