vegasmike

Arizona Mule Deer unit 21 or 20c

Hi All,

Hope everyone has been having a great season.  I was lucky enough to take part in my first Coues deer hunt the first week of Jan.  I got to check out unit 6a which i did some previous scouting for, saw some deer but couldn't make anything happen.  Then made my way down to a boarder unit where an awesome gentleman from the forum showed me around and taught me a ton about coues and glassin.  Wasn't able to punch a tag but an amazing trip nonetheless.

I've still got a tag burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm looking to switch gears a little bit.  The unit 6a I scouted/hunted is now closed for the archery season so I'll get to explore a new unit.  As much as i loved chasing those little coues deer around I'm changing my focus to mule deer so i can actually get some meet should I actually find success lol.

I've been hitting onX & google earth to e-scout mainly unit 21 but also 20c.  Being greener than grass I'm going for quantity of deer and ease of hunt opposed quality of age and genetics.  If I can get a couple stalks in I'd be thrilled, if I put one on the ground that's icing on the cake (I hear its an average of 15 stalks per shot opportunity).  

Dugas Rd in unit 21 is looking most appealing to me at the moment.  Sounds like a lot of people glass/hunt right from the road.  I was planning to truck/tent camp at one of the pulloffs but hike in off the road 1-3 miles to find a glassing point in hopes that gets me away from any crowds.  I'm actually happy to hike in further but feel being mobile is best as I learn whats what with the area.  Is the area as crowded during the end of the late archery season as I hear it is during the rifle season?  I was planning to check out the drainages around Reimer Draw that are west of reimer sprigns rd / 68D  and/or the checking out the canyons off Tule Mesa Rd.  I read the deer like to bed in the thick tree cover and come out into the transition zones to feed so i figured glassing into the canyons would be my starting point.  Any thoughts or direction would be beyond appreciated.  Unfortunately being such a new hunter i have no info of value to trade, unless you like fly fishing in Utah.  Thanks !!

Don't know the unit, however I would start with glassing from the roads first. Then if your not happy with what youre seeing consider hiking in. Glass open areas and sunny slopes first and as it warms start glassing the shade. Wait for your target to bed down and then go for it.  

Up front, I only know the general terrain in the two units and this is my shoot from the hip skim the surface impression. From looking down out of airplane cockpit flying in and out of PHX over the years  I like the high terrain that runs along the S side of the Verde River from Camp Verde to Sheep Bridge. This high ridge gradually slopes down hill to the west towards I17. I would onX scout this country and beware that if wet roads could get sloppy. Good Luck.

Grew up hunting unit 21 and know it very well. I have been hunting 20c so far this January with my archery pig tag and have seen a lot of mule deer bucks. Unit 21 has both mule deer and whitetail but you will find that you are going to see a lot of whitetails in unit 21 now cause the whitetail population is thriving in unit 21.  There are many spots in unit 21 where I have killed several mule deer bucks and if I go glass them now I see lots of whitetails. Just my opinion. Good luck!

The flier guy who mentioned north of Cave creek is spot on as well. 

Edit: Looks like  I caught my mistake too late.  I thought I was writing this in PM.  OOPS

2 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

The flier guy who mentioned north of Cave creek is spot on as well.  Just south of Humboldt Mt off of Seven Springs Rd, there is another mt called Maverick.  Lots of Muleys and Whitetail on those slopes and usually no other hunters.  

Both of the areas have side attractions of Indian Petraglyphs(spelling?) and ruins

Not any more lol