CatfishKev

Split hairs with me

Would you consider a small piece of private property that's in the middle of a large blm tract of land that is only archery to be fair game to discharge a firearm on?

Within the boundaries is the old abondon train tracks with a section that is about 275' wide and about 800 yards long. (this area is not the tracks themselves).  I want to do some predator hunting there and I know there is at least one lion, bobcats and several yotes. The private property is not posted and people are able to hunt on it, its at least 3/4 of a mile away from any residential property line, further to the actual houses.  I would be set up in such a way to keep my trajectory within the private property. Yes I realize i'm pushing it but if technically legal Id take my chances. I would obviously be discreet about and would follow gun safety rules and also be using a can on my rifle.

The obvious question is why is it archery only? Could it be that the landowner requested that status in return for allowing hunting on it? If so, it would seem that would also apply to predators. 

I believe what Kevin is trying to say is the Private Property is within an area that is Archery Only.  Does the Archery Only area also refer to the private property or can a weapon be discharged within the private property?

Adam is correct.  The private property is surrounded by BLM which is archery only hunting allowed. I'm wanting to hunt on the private strip.

I would comb through the regs about the specific unit/area.  The archery only area is probably set by specific boundaries, roads or creeks for example.  If that is the case, I would assume the private property within those boundaries would fall under the same regulations as the blm land.

• Like 1

I would call the units game and fish officer as he is the one in the end you will be talking to if it's not ok. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

The private property is nothing. The area around it is archery only BLM

Who has designated it as archery only? AZGFD (which I'd think might apply to the whole area) or BLM? And is it only the BLM land that's designated? (I know that's the basic question you're asking if it only applies to the BLM land...if only BLM land is specified, then private should be legal but I'd probably want to get the AZGFD officer opinion as Jim said)

It's not in game and fish regs. Bigorange, yes it is BLM land that is regulated by BLM not Azgf. I suppose the BLM officials would be the ones to ask after the government shut down ends..  

3 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Where does it indicate it is archery only?  Regs, BLM signs, AZGFD signs, city limits?  

Blm website, which I think is down right now. There are also signs posted.

Screenshot_20190117-152255.thumb.jpg.8ed9a0fb3503f4c97532abeb8d57ae54.jpg

I want to hunt in the little strip that runs east to west. I don't want to cheat and kill deer in there with a rifle, I basically want to kill the lion that's killing the deer and I don't have enough balls to do it with my bow.  North of it is a large residential area also surrounded by the archery only zone, I'd be real surprised if none of those people target shoot on their property.