Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

water levels

I was in 8 yesterday and nearly got swept away in a wash while crossing with my truck.  Huge amounts of precipitation dropped yesterday and filled all tanks to their max.  On top, above the rim, the snow pack isn't significant and may lead to issues down the road, but the tanks at rim level and below are filled to the max.  More water than they have held in them in a couple years.  I was starting to get concerned as water levels were dropping lately, but after this week, tanks in Unit 8 should be good on water for critters until monsoon season.

Just thinking this might be useful info for some of ya folk.

• Like 5

On 1/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, MT_Sourdough said:

I was in 8 yesterday and nearly got swept away in a wash while crossing with my truck.  Huge amounts of precipitation dropped yesterday and filled all tanks to their max.  On top, above the rim, the snow pack isn't significant and may lead to issues down the road, but the tanks at rim level and below are filled to the max.  More water than they have held in them in a couple years.  I was starting to get concerned as water levels were dropping lately, but after this week, tanks in Unit 8 should be good on water for critters until monsoon season.

Just thinking this might be useful info for some of ya folk.

Im trying to understand, buddy.. are you trying to say the tanks in GMU 8 are full?

8 hours ago, Edge said:

Im trying to understand, buddy.. are you trying to say the tanks in GMU 8 are full?

That's correct.   Currently, the tanks in 8 are completely full.  No more rain predicted for January. Perfect hunting weather for rest of month.

Big bucks coming out of the wood work right now.  Times are good.

1 hour ago, MT_Sourdough said:

That's correct.   Currently, the tanks in 8 are completely full.  No more rain predicted for January. Perfect hunting weather for rest of month.

Big bucks coming out of the wood work right now.  Times are good.

That’s great news tanks are full! Too bad the bucks are coming out the woodwork now that the archery season closed 

on the 15th. Hopefully they will be around in august when it opens backup.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, goinhuntn said:

That’s great news tanks are full! Too bad the bucks are coming out the woodwork now that the archery season closed 

on the 15th. Hopefully they will be around in august when it opens backup.

You are right.  8 is closed, but 19a is still open.  I aint seeing those big bucks in 19a the way I am seeing them in 8.  

My prediction right now, contingent on whether or not we get some precipitation in March.  This could be a good year in 8 for quality.  Not so much quantity, but definitely quality if we get some good early food production.   The tanks will have water.

Turkey numbers are way down in 8 this year.   I did see a big tom a few days ago but, in the areas I frequent, evidence suggests dramatic number reduction of turkeys compared to the last couple of years.  

I meant to post this response a few days ago, but I never submitted it.  Anyways, 19a is still open, but it isn't as prime as 8 is right now.  I have had some bucks to pursue in 19a, but not like what is going on in 8.

• Like 1

Another update : So we have been getting more rain up here in 19a and 8.  Today, I noticed a nice carpet of green starting to form with lots of sprouting seedlings.  The extended forecast is calling for a wet month of February.  This means early food production is getting a good start in the area.  Tanks in 19a aren't as full as they are in 8.  In 8, the tanks are plum full, but in 19a, they could still use much more water.   Unit 19a will likely get at least some of that needed water this winter.

bottom line: it is my impression that those factors that lead to quality antler development are trending positively at this point in 8 and 19a.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Another update : So we have been getting more rain up here in 19a and 8.  Today, I noticed a nice carpet of green starting to form with lots of sprouting seedlings.  The extended forecast is calling for a wet month of February.  This means early food production is getting a good start in the area.  Tanks in 19a aren't as full as they are in 8.  In 8, the tanks are plum full, but in 19a, they could still use much more water.   Unit 19a will likely get at least some of that needed water this winter.

bottom line: it is my impression that those factors that lead to quality antler development are trending positively at this point in 8 and 19a.

Flood waters at the low water crossing to Sedona's Rainbow Trout Farm in Oak Creek Sunday morning. VVN/Vyto Starinskas

Oak Creek Sunday  morning.........

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

We've had up to 20 inches of rain in parts of NW Tucson this past year, average is around 11-12".  I saw that southern AZ is finally out of drought status  on US drought monitor map.  The desert down here has grass/greenery everywhere right now.  Also, Mt. Lemmon has had snow on top for about 3 months straight now.  

• Like 2