Sign in to follow this  
buckshotaz

Help iron out a tripod issue

Watching the NE vs KC game and my mind started to wander towards hunting and in particular glassing. I love to glass. I can sit for hours in one spot confident I can find whatever I’m looking for. The one thing that slows things down is, my old abused back starts to hurt as I lean forward looking into my binoculars. 

I have always thought that if I could lean back in my chair and glass at the same time without getting up and loosing my spot because I had to move the tripod out of the way

im wanting something like this to set next to my chair and have the binoculars in front of me:

0A8646EF-130B-4A8C-890E-156ED767E146.png

My vortex tripod will open up farther than normal. I can pull a lever on each leg and almost lay it flat on the ground (with the legs fully extended) hard to explain but the legs can be set up to glass from a chair, weird leg angle but once the center post is level it works.

• Like 1

Yes

1 hour ago, buckshotaz said:

Do you all think it would require some sort of counter balance?

Can you hang a pack from the tripodcenter post? That should do it.

Is there an adapter that would put the bino's upright vs. sitting on their side.  You would lose all functionality of the ball head if it is on it's side vs upright.

• Like 1

^^^^^** this.  look at how the binoculars would mount,  Off to the side. With a camera which most tripods are designed for will not matter.  But for binos I don’t see the functionality 

3 hours ago, grey curse said:

^^^^^** this.  look at how the binoculars would mount,  Off to the side. With a camera which most tripods are designed for will not matter.  But for binos I don’t see the functionality 

You guys are right! I’m going to need a 90 degree adapter at the end. Would it be possible to set the ball head at 90 and put a pan head to the ball head?

Some heads like that have a slot on the edge for the post of the mounting plate so it's possible to turn the mounting plate where it makes a 90 deg. angle with the head itself.  

Problem solved. I just searched for the head and here is what it looks like up close and personal. Note the cutout in the edge (where it says 38 mmm ball) that allows the mounting plate to turn 90 degs. 

head_.jpg