Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Official scoring question

Took my almost burnt mount to the taxi to have him clean it and mentioned I wanted to get it officially scored for P and Y. There's a kind of deep chip in the main beam i was going to have him fix and when i asked if that would be a problem he said they may not measure it anyway already mounted because they cant verify that the skull wasnt cut down the center at all.

So, will fixing a chip be a problem? (I know you can't have missing tines added, not sure about this though)

And can I have it officially measured mounted?

36 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Just tape it yourself who cares 

This. Unless it's going to go P&Y or something in which case they probably would "officially" have to pull the skull plate off the mount like your taxi said.

13 minutes ago, brademan76 said:

This. Unless it's going to go P&Y or something in which case they probably would "officially" have to pull the skull plate off the mount like your taxi said.

He posted a pic It’s big it would go p and y. 

My bad, if I ever got learned to read... I would've saw he specifically mentioned P and Y. 🤯

Yeah he was measured by myself and taxi back when I killed  it. Didn't honestly much care then but I now have my reasons. The other half of this is i want to have the buck i just killed also measured so i dont have any future problems. 

• Like 2

It can be measured mounted and prior to the chip being repaired. P&Y does also accept broken points, before they are repaired as long as they convincingly fit back together. Ed F

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOWUNTR said:

It can be measured mounted and prior to the chip being repaired. P&Y does also accept broken points, before they are repaired as long as they convincingly fit back together. Ed F

Thanks Ed for the feedback. So wait on the chip repair, got it! If you can measure repaired points what are the expectations? Like trail cam pics or something to prove what was there before it was broken?  

Do i remember you mentioning you are an official scorer?

If measured mounted do they have to do anything "invasive" to the mount?

Maybe take a picture before the cape goes on, I would think if the cap was broken you could flex the horns no matter what, well maybe scuple would hold them tight. Just thinking out loud.

I think he meant that if a point was broken on a fall or something and you found the pieces you can put them back together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brademan76 said:

My bad, if I ever got learned to read... I would've saw he specifically mentioned P and Y. 🤯

download.gif.41bf2bf076f1b86af594f0935ceabf80.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do i remember you mentioning you are an official scorer?

Ed (BOWUNTR) is the current Record's Chairman for the Pope and Young Club.  Marvin (Stickflker) and I are also official measurers for P&Y and B&C.  As Ed stated, mounted trophies can be measured.  I've measured many mounted trophies over the years.....nothing too invasive, IMO.  As suggested, have the animal measured BEFORE any repair to the main beam.....even if it is just to fill in a chip.  This ensures that no alterations have been made and does not bring question as to the integrity of the antlers.  

In order for broken points to be utilized, the hunter MUST have the broken portion of the point in their possession and it must CONVINCINGLY fit back together by the measurer at time of measurement.  If repaired by the taxidermist BEFORE official measure, the point can only be taken to the original break line.  Hope it helps.   

• Like 1