Sign in to follow this  
sneakem33

Super Raffle tag buck...

41 minutes ago, jdown said:

What a great buck, but please do educate me and forgive my ignorance.  I have changed my opinion 3 or 4 times on hybrid or coues just looking at the 5 or 6 pictures--Mule deer rack on one side, WT on the other, big brown patched floppy eared head, but I have seen coues with that brown patch too but not as distinctive as this buck.  The not quite defining white ring on the nose, but more of the graying from forehead to nose that is more like a mule deer.  If there such a thing as a hybrid and you did have a mule deer tag--where is the line drawn here in terms of harvest? 

Supposedly the only way to tell short of a DNA test is by the location and size of the metatarsal glands. As far as legality you go by the tail if it has a whitetail tail you better have a whitetail tag. 

1 minute ago, BOHNTR said:

Looks like a Coues to me

People are saying the metatarsal glands are too big to be a whitetail. And thats why they’re sayings it’s “confirmed” hybrid 

I guess that article and the confirmation settles the debate.  Thanks bone collector.  QC, thanks too.  I guess the the dang tag says 'whitetail' deer, didn't take it literal before, but will now!  Ha! 

Take the horns off that deer and I would have said MD head for sure, but I can the hybrid and makes sense.  

For those of us that need pictures (me me!) to help digest the metatarsal glad identification discussion.. I found this.  More than I thought I would learn today.  

image.thumb.png.5aa8f2c221efeae266f8ec6a4aa10655.png

• Like 2

It's a heck of a deer anyways!  Even if it were a hybrid, just makes it more rare, even more desirable IMO.  Pretty sure you couldn't see those glands on a shoulder mount anyhow...

• Like 1

Already confirmed by two biologists that it's a hybrid. Why is this even part of the discussion anymore? Unless you're trying to tell Duwane to STOP telling everyone, including his hunter, that it's a Coues buck? 

Colt Yount found the buck and hunted the buck back in November unsuccessfully. He planned on hunting the buck again this year, I'm sure. That was until they (Duwane, Shane, Colt, or whoever) found out that A3 was requesting permits to guide in a specific area asap where this buck happened to live. Clearly someone else (we'll call him Ben) had found the buck, was planning on selling him to the auction hunter, and A3 was bringing said hunter to hunt it. That's when Colt gave Shane "permission" to take Duwane's hunter (the raffle tag holder, Tol) in there to hurry and kill it before A3 did. Up until that point, Duwane wasn't even hunting the buck. So the race begins...

Several days later, and a couple of days of unsuccessfully hunting the buck, the buck is found again by one of Ben's friends. Ben and the hunter are now on their way around to the side of the mountain that the buck is on to shoot it. Meanwhile, Duwane pulls up with his hunter and walks right up to the hill where the spotter is and tries to BS with Ben's friend. Ben's friend makes it clear to Duwane that they're already on the buck. Duwane then tries the old "yeah, but which big buck? There's two big bucks in here" trick. A short while later, and after a random phone call made to Ben by Duwane about optics, Duwane's guide (assuming it was Shane) happens to glass the buck up in the flats. And the rest is history.

This is why nobody wants to talk about it:

#1 it's a hybrid (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about, per se'), just NOT a full-blooded Coues Whitetail deer

#2 Duwane's a snake

#3 Change my mind

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CJohnson said:

Already confirmed by two biologists that it's a hybrid. Why is this even part of the discussion anymore? Unless you're trying to tell Duwane to STOP telling everyone, including his hunter, that it's a Coues buck? 

Colt Yount found the buck and hunted the buck back in November unsuccessfully. He planned on hunting the buck again this year, I'm sure. That was until they (Duwane, Shane, Colt, or whoever) found out that A3 was requesting permits to guide in a specific area asap where this buck happened to live. Clearly someone else (we'll call him Ben) had found the buck, was planning on selling him to the auction hunter, and A3 was bringing said hunter to hunt it. That's when Colt gave Shane "permission" to take Duwane's hunter (the raffle tag holder, Tol) in there to hurry and kill it before A3 did. Up until that point, Duwane wasn't even hunting the buck. So the race begins...

Several days later, and a couple of days of unsuccessfully hunting the buck, the buck is found again by one of Ben's friends. Ben and the hunter are now on their way around to the side of the mountain that the buck is on to shoot it. Meanwhile, Duwane pulls up with his hunter and walks right up to the hill where the spotter is and tries to BS with Ben's friend. Ben's friend makes it clear to Duwane that they're already on the buck. Duwane then tries the old "yeah, but which big buck? There's two big bucks in here" trick. A short while later, and after a random phone call made to Ben by Duwane about optics, Duwane's guide (assuming it was Shane) happens to glass the buck up in the flats. And the rest is history.

This is why nobody wants to talk about it:

#1 it's a hybrid (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about, per se'), just NOT a full-blooded Coues Whitetail deer

#2 Duwane's a snake

#3 Change my mind

And the truth is out...

• Like 1