Sign in to follow this  
sneakem33

Super Raffle tag buck...

Sounds like the old USO.. I've heard bad stories about both A3 and Adams, let's just say it guides own the woods. In my opinion. And have a lot of friends that are guides, well until they read this..

2 hours ago, CJohnson said:

Already confirmed by two biologists that it's a hybrid. Why is this even part of the discussion anymore? Unless you're trying to tell Duwane to STOP telling everyone, including his hunter, that it's a Coues buck? 

Colt Yount found the buck and hunted the buck back in November unsuccessfully. He planned on hunting the buck again this year, I'm sure. That was until they (Duwane, Shane, Colt, or whoever) found out that A3 was requesting permits to guide in a specific area asap where this buck happened to live. Clearly someone else (we'll call him Ben) had found the buck, was planning on selling him to the auction hunter, and A3 was bringing said hunter to hunt it. That's when Colt gave Shane "permission" to take Duwane's hunter (the raffle tag holder, Tol) in there to hurry and kill it before A3 did. Up until that point, Duwane wasn't even hunting the buck. So the race begins...

Several days later, and a couple of days of unsuccessfully hunting the buck, the buck is found again by one of Ben's friends. Ben and the hunter are now on their way around to the side of the mountain that the buck is on to shoot it. Meanwhile, Duwane pulls up with his hunter and walks right up to the hill where the spotter is and tries to BS with Ben's friend. Ben's friend makes it clear to Duwane that they're already on the buck. Duwane then tries the old "yeah, but which big buck? There's two big bucks in here" trick. A short while later, and after a random phone call made to Ben by Duwane about optics, Duwane's guide (assuming it was Shane) happens to glass the buck up in the flats. And the rest is history.

This is why nobody wants to talk about it:

#1 it's a hybrid (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be talked about, per se'), just NOT a full-blooded Coues Whitetail deer

#2 Duwane's a snake

#3 Change my mind

Did you see 2 biologists take DNA from this deer? That is the only way to truly confirm. 

Did you personally see Duwane talk to the A3 spotter?

• Like 3

wow Dwayne is an old guy now!  I went to his seminars a few years ago .. well quite a few years ago.  Dang time has gone by fast!  Nice deer.

• Like 2

I know no details of either party involved in this drama.

Does everyone know that hybrids are literally almost not found in the wild let alone get to the age this buck needed to be at to score 150"? In captivity, hybrids can barely be created and are all dinks. It happens in the wild, very rarely but the average dude that doesn't get out much calls any mule deer that doesn't fork a hybrid and any whitetail that does a hybrid. It's embarrassing....

Generally, hybrids are a way of explaining the things the average Joe doesn't get to see or experience or are very rare because they don't get out enough, in my experiences. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I will flip the role. If Duwanes guys were on that buck waiting for Duwanes hunter to show up and kill it and A3 showed up....  Do You think for a second that A3 would just walk away if their hunter was right there ready to go? heck NO! They would have shot that buck right then and there.  If you believe otherwise you are kidding yourself.  

Secondly, how did Duwane just happen to show up right at the right spot? Isn't it possible he knew there was or could be a big buck there?

You publically called DuWane a snake,  seems a pretty strong choice of words. I know him personally as one of the nicest, honest, down to earth dudes you could ever meet.  I haven't met a single person that ever had something negative to say about him in fact quite the contrary.   Here's a great example of how he teaches his guys to be. While on the late hunt I was riding along with his son in law on his clients hunt. We found a nice buck but wasnt quite what the client wanted. When leaving another guide with his client are passing us and he flags them down to see what caliber buck they were after. Not only did he tell the dude where the buck was, we went back to make sure they could find it. As it turned out they missed it so he went out of his way to help get the guys client on it and the dude killed the buck. Duwane congratulated his son in law for the gesture when we got back to camp.  Did he have to help the dude out? Nope, but he did. Thats the type of guy DuWane is and has working for him.

100%, I’m quite positive what Ben would’ve done if the roles were reversed. Definitely not what Duwane did. Minus “providing the hunter”, there was very little A3 had to do with this hunt. Not your typical A3 hunt with 15 guys on every hillside. Just a couple of guys the finder (Ben) wanted there and the hunter. 

You ask how did Duwane just find that spot without knowing the buck was there? Did you not read anything I wrote?!? Of course he knew the buck was there! Like I said, and like Duwane himself said, “colt gave Shane permission” to take the hunter in there. That’s how Duwane knew where to go. Since you seem to know Duwane super well, ask him his side of the story. Also, ask him why he wasn’t hunting the buck from the very beginning if he knew it was there BEFORE A3 was requesting permits? 

As for your story. Ummm, thanks for the cool story but clearly that says something about his SIL, not necessarily Duwane. Once again, unless you have something else contrary to what I’ve said about THIS story, you’re just telling stories that make us feel all warm and fuzzy 

1 minute ago, CJohnson said:

100%, I’m quite positive what Ben would’ve done if the roles were reversed. Definitely not what Duwane did. Minus “providing the hunter”, there was very little A3 had to do with this hunt. Not your typical A3 hunt with 15 guys on every hillside. Just a couple of guys the finder (Ben) wanted there and the hunter. 

You ask how did Duwane just find that spot without knowing the buck was there? Did you not read anything I wrote?!? Of course he knew the buck was there! Like I said, and like Duwane himself said, “colt gave Shane permission” to take the hunter in there. That’s how Duwane knew where to go. Since you seem to know Duwane super well, ask him his side of the story. Also, ask him why he wasn’t hunting the buck from the very beginning if he knew it was there BEFORE A3 was requesting permits? 

As for your story. Ummm, thanks for the cool story but clearly that says something about his SIL, not necessarily Duwane. Once again, unless you have something else contrary to what I’ve said about THIS story, you’re just telling stories that make us feel all warm and fuzzy 

Look I get that there’s a bunch of “fan boys” on here that probably have Adams book, in hard copy, that’s autographed, and they sleep with it every night. But when you look at this whole crap show it boils down to ethics. The way this went down, could constitute a good ol’ fashioned butt whoopin, and probably should have gone down that way. BUT then a lawyer would have been called and someone would cry “SLANDER”. 

• Like 1

So, CJohnson, whose your source for your post?  Ben?  I've found that those who don't succeed makes lots of excuses and stories up to explain their lack of success. I agree with most everyone on here, Dwayne's a stand up guy, helping people pretty regularly.  Helping people become better hunters.  I remember talking to him at the ADA deer seminar years ago at length before my first hunt there,   never pushed me to hire him, but gave me tons of info on the Kaibab.  Saw him there on the late hunt this year , and he was very supportive of other hunters coming in with deer on their own. 

Hyrbid or not, great buck!  Who wouldn't shoot that toad?

Haters gonna Hate!

• Like 7