Sign in to follow this  
sneakem33

Super Raffle tag buck...

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Has nothing to do with communism, has to do with the the auction tags shouldn’t exist to begin with

Wealth and success is and should be celebrated

what we’re talking about is the bastardazation of hunting and prostitution of the involved animals.  

• Like 6

Where did CJ go......I was still kinda hoping to get the crayon version of the ridge etc., kinda help me relive the moment vicariously........where all the spotters were........how DeWayne out manuevered the competition......maybe a dotted lined representing the phone call from DeWayne to was it Ben?

The account on instagram certainly isn't as exciting a version of the story.....

Congratulations to the Arizona Coues Deer Super Raffle winner Tol Gabett and his world class Coues Deer Buck. Colt Yount found this buck in July and he hunted for him hard in October along with the help of his brother Shane Yount. They were unsuccessful, however Colt gave his brother Shane the green light to take Tol in there and kill this monster. Tol called Duwane Adams back when he drew the super raffle tag and hired him on the spot. They went in and killed this once in a lifetime buck on January 11th 2019. The green score on this dinosaur is “149 5/8”

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sneakem33 said:

Not saying anything about working your butt off to afford to do this.  I'm just being realistic and honestly I have my own opinions about the donate to betterment of wildlife hunt.  I can tell you I have been on both sides of the ball.  I've been the guy with the paid hunter.  I have also been the guy on the other side of the fence. 

I once found a huge antelope in Wyoming (pushing 88-90) and went after him during archery season.  Opening morning of the hunt I found the buck where I had left him (after a couple months of watching him).  I stalked within 60 yard of him and was about to crest the dike on the water tank and stick him in his bed.  All of the sudden a truck comes flying down a two track within 80 yard of the antelope and I... scares the buck off.  Commissioners tag hunter with a guide that I recognized. They watched me stalk the buck, and as I was about to seal the deal they decided that it was best to interrupt. We exchanged pleasantries and they proceeded to drive over the hill and shoot the buck with a rifle...

Me personally, I'm rooting for the dude with the raffle tag.  I understand the suck of having a deer shot with your client there and missing out on a paycheck too...  Obviously it becomes a shoot show when you have the pressure to deliver on these tags and I'm sure some crazy crap happened and it was a foot race to this deer.  Anyone remember the several month long story about a certain elk in Utah..."spider bull"... it happens all the time.... half of Utah was after that bull...

Some people just need to pull up their big boy pants, give their feelings a big hug and wipe the tears from their faces.  Congrats to the hunter, sweet a$$ deer....

If I’m not mistaken Wyoming commissioner tags allow you to hunt only with the open weapon during the open season.  So either they were breaking the law or you were bowhunting during the rifle season.  

6 hours ago, akaspecials said:

While I agree with your sentiment, it's also important to recognize that our public lands are not part of the "King's Forest" and a lot of us peasants don't think it's right that 38k can get you special hunting privileges. Money shouldn't be able to buy a public resource that is shared amongst all of us. That's the North American game model I was taught and subscribe to anyways.... 

That exact same argument could be made from someone who can’t afford a $120 elk tag from the state.  Drawing the line at what you personally can afford doesn’t it any different that you too are buying a public resource.  

• Like 6

Guest akaspecials
18 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

That exact same argument could be made from someone who can’t afford a $120 elk tag from the state.  Drawing the line at what you personally can afford doesn’t it any different that you too are buying a public resource.  

As a society, we have decided that it is okay to charge reasonable fees to help fund the government. 

$120 is reasonable. $38k is not. 

Furthermore, the $120 tag doesn't give special rights to people such as extended seasons and a choice of multiple units to hunt. I don't believe the same argument can be made because you are comparing apples to oranges. 

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

If I’m not mistaken Wyoming commissioner tags allow you to hunt only with the open weapon during the open season.  So either they were breaking the law or you were bowhunting during the rifle season.  

It was August....  Doesn't really matter,  I called the wildlife officer... nothing ever happened.... they swore that they coincidentally drove down the road, officer swore up and down it was just bad timing and everything was on the up and up.... fishy right?  I'm over it... was years ago, spilled milk... Doesn't change the context of the story of being on the other side of the ball...

Nah, still around. Has anything new or groundbreaking been shared contrary to what I’ve said? I didn’t think so, so why keep the thread going? You guys have way more time on your hands than I do. Especially the guy who pulled up the guides list and looked for my name to find my dog in the fight? 😂

Everyone got their panties in a bunch when someone (not just me) mentioned it was a hybrid. Now that there’s FAR more evidence to support that, hopefully we can move on to the full story of how he went about killing it from the beginning (not some abbreviated description of the story pulled from an IG post by Duwane himself). Or that really sweet one that trphyhntr repeated from his “source”. But let’s be real, that ain’t happening either. 

Some people have made their mind up based on Duwanes reputation alone. That’s fine. After-all, good people never make really poor decisions in the moment, do they? My mind hasn’t changed because a few guys on the internet who weren’t there, or even bothered to ask a couple people who were, don’t agree with me. 

👍

My name is Brian Rhoton I was the "A3" hunter referred to in this post, I have not been on this website in years but was made aware that there is some controversy on this site and guess facebook over the giant buck that Tol killed with DA outfitter's.  I don't have and will never have a facebook account so l am on here to clear up all the FAKE NEWS that seems to be circulating the web.  I have spot read through the 14 pages of posts here so i don't know exactly what all has been said but got the general idea I think.  Here is what happened

I got a call on the Saturday morning prior to the buck being killed from my brother who is an owner at A3, he had been contacted by Ben Brochu about a large buck he had found while archery hunting that morning, he had almost killed the buck with his bow and had got good video in the process.  I looked at the video and was immediately interested in the buck.  I could not make it down that day as I was on the Navajo reservation watching my daughter play basketball but was able to talk to Ben.  I could not hunt the following days because of a daughter getting a surgery until thursday the following week.  My brother and I showed up on Thursday morning met ben, one of bens friends and one of chads friends who wanted to help hunt the big deer. Ben had been able to keep track of the deer every day except for the prior day in which they did not see the deer.  Ben spread everyone out to different glassing points and we all went to look for the buck.  From the first video I had seen of the buck I was concerned that the deer was a hybrid, the concern arose from the location of the deer and the lack of whitetail in the area, obviously the size of the deer as it is huge both antler and body, and the general look of the deer in the video.  Obviously I was willing to take the chance that once killed the deer might be a hybrid, I was fine with that fact as I believe anyone in their right mind would be.  After about an hour of glassing in the morning I glassed a deer up at the edge of the mountain and the flats and immediately told Ben I have a whitetail, we had seen allot of mule deer that morning and this deer defiantly looked to be a whitetail.  Once the buck cleared some brush it was immediately clear it was him, the buck is giant.  To make a long story short we lost the buck midday and did not get him killed on Thursday.  Friday morning we went back to same side of the ridge we glassed the buck from and sent another guy to the other side.  The guy on the other side radio and said he had glassed up a pile of mule deer does with several mule deer bucks and one smaller buck with a whitetail rutting the does, about 5 min later he let us know the large buck had joined the party.   Ben, my brother and myself immediately began to relocate to the ridge directly above the deer, while on route to the deer we got a call from the spotter asking us if we had just pulled up in our truck under him on the knob he was on we said no.  About 5 min later he called and said it was Duwane Adams and that he had the raffle hunter what should he do, we asked him to let Duwane know that we had the buck located and were moving in to kill the deer.  Duwane asked which deer he was told and he said they were two deer and they would look for the other one.  In the meantime the rutting party broke up with a few bucks heading up the ridge and the big buck heading downhill to the flats where everything bedded up.  Duwane and his crew and our spotter started glassing together and we made it up to the top of our knob.  When we got up on the know Duwane did call Ben and asked for prices on two sets of 15s, Ben told him he would talk to him later after we got the buck killed.  We quickly picked up the group of deer 500 or so yards below us most were bedded and started trying to find the buck as our spotter had lost track of it while talking with Duwane and his crew.  We were not concerned at all about Duwane and his hunter as we believed the buck was with the does right below us about 1200 yards from the knob everyone else was on.  It was flat desert between us and our spotter and Duwane with his guys and 1300 yds.  After some time i glassed over to our spotter and Duwane and saw a mad panick going on our spotter called and said the buck popped up 300 yds below us they want to shoot it what do you want me to do right then the buck bedded.  The buck had worked to 1000 yds from me and 300 yards from them and bedded, we told him do nothing if they are really going to shoot help them out, hopefully their hunter can't shoot, we can't shoot from here the buck is bedded behind brush.  After a few shots the buck was dead.  We made our way over to the buck helped them set the buck up for pictures and had some great conversations.  Tol is a great guy, I could not be more happy for him he first drew a tag of several lifetimes and than sealed the deal on a buck of several lifetimes.  We all went our separate ways as while there was obviously some upset feelings everyone there felt it was not worth ruining a great hunting experience for Tol.  A few hours later I believe a few phone calls were made between DA and Ben and some of the others that were in the field expressing some frustration as to how the whole situation came about.  

A few clarifications, some in-site and thoughts i had while spot reading this threat.

1. I feel the worst for Ben, he pulled off archery hunting the deer because I was interested in hunting and killing it.  He is the one that "lost" the most in this situation with not continuing to hunt a once in a lifetime buck and waiting on me to show up.  Many will say that he made the choice and can live with the consequesces True that doesn't mean consequences don't suck. 

2. I regret not killing the deer, I would have been excited and had decided to shoot the deer even though I suspected as did most that knew of the deer that it was a hybrid.  After looking at its glands and such I believe if DNA tested it would be considered a hybrid.  That deer was the "bird in the hand" every other giant i know of is tough to locate.

3. I have been shown or told about several deer just this year that are similar in score to this deer, none of them as close to as easy to relocate, but each of them have been shown to me by at least 2 people or I know of at least 2 people that know about the deer.  I know this deer was know and seen by a minimum of 3 different groups of hunters this year.  Giant  coues deer have to have significant age, i was fortunate to also have the auction tag last year, the buck I killed last year has been same size or bigger for 5 years prior to killing, he had to be at least 4 or 5 years old when he was first located by the guide that showed me the deer which means the deer was at least 10 years old, I suspect he was close to 12.  It is hard for a giant buck to remain a secret there are allot of years to locate a buck in his prime with allot of hunters that have great glassing skills, high tech backpacking equipment that lets them get to remote locations and stay much easier than 10 years ago, improved hunting sills combined with the use of trail cameras and its hard for those bucks to make it unseen like they used to be.  On a side note the buck I killed last year had the opportunity to create a lot of drama between mutual friends as both parties had significant time watching the deer year to year, no drama made the hunt.

4. There have been several posts about people glad that the raffle guy killed and I did not because I bought the tag, i agree completely with those comments.  Tol is a great guy that got lucky and drew a great tag and killed a smoker buck.

5.  While big bucks are not necessarily a secret they are tough to find.  I have probably spent more time and $ in the field than the majority of people trying to locate a truly giant deer and have never personally found a deer I thought was giant. Biggest I have found on my own and killed is 128" typical; I have seen plenty of 120 and 130 inch deer but never a true freak.  I know  those that have found multiple true giants, my hat goes off to them.  If some believe me to be a "sell out" or not a "true hunter" because I decide to go and hunt a deer someone else found and compensate them for it I don't care, I will continue to do it.  If you got a deer I would be interested in hit me up lets go hunting.  

6.  The number one problem with hunting is that we all love it and obsess about it to death, so much that that many hunters invest all, some invest most and most invest a substantial portion of $, time and energy into it. When things don't go our way it pisses us off.  Just like it would with anything that means a great deal to us including our families, work or any other hobby.  

7.  When the result of one hunter or group of hunters success results in the failure of the other hunter or group of hunters it naturally creates great conflict in most situations and any flaw in the opposing parties actions is naturally attacked.  I was happy that there was no conflict in the field everyone acted in a professional matter congratulations were given even though it was a tough situation everyone left on good terms.  Personal person to person calls were made a few hours later so that opinions could be expressed.  I think the internet has made that conflict and ease of attack worse than ever before.  

8.  This site is drama city, I have heard facebook is too and many other internet sites.  Everyone get over it, its just a deer they are a renewable resource others will grow hopefully bigger.

9.  Name me one person that has not made a mistake in the field, in life, at work or anywhere.  Crap happens we all make mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment.  Did Duwane make a mistake, who the heck cares, no one has a spotless reputation and everyone has a different perspective. 

I don't care about spelling or grammar.

This will be my only post.  

• Like 25

Brian, 

CJohnson started the drama.  Just wanted to clarify that

This is a great forum. 

• Like 3

Question, if A3 is so great why do they follow the ground pounders around? just wondering, and know there not involved in my post, I've seen it first hand. Opportunist are opportunist. Jmo