Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

First Time Mexico Coues Hunt DIY

A friend of mine told me one day he bought a spot on a ranch in mexico and asked me if I wanted to go last year.  Heck yeah I will!!!  The day came, and crossing the border sucks with trucks, trailers, side by sides getting all the paper work done, visas, customs checking our guns, the mexican border checking our guns, the mexican military checking our guns and 5 hours later from leaving AZ we are finally on our way to the ranch!!! 

Sadly nothing was rutting when we got there.  Veterans hunters who hunted this ranch before said its always crazy rutting at this time.  Just so pre rutting and a full moon!  But if this was a hunting unit in AZ this would of been the best unit I have ever hunted!!  Needless to say I had a great time and all the other hunters there were way awesome.  We all helped each other out.  One guy spotted a double drop tine buck and the next day we hunted close to them or the other ridge over and that morning my hunting partner glassed him up.  We radioed the guy and I watched this buck for 2 hours and waited for this hunter who was looking for him to show up!  Sadly the dude missed at 400 yards ( he got excited).  But good karma always pans out in the hunting world.  His spotter was up real high and in favor he glassed up bucks left and right to put us on for helping them out.  

But I was able to land this nice buck at 460 yard.  He isn't the biggest but what we were only really seeing out there was this size, biggest Coues I ever shot though .  Couple of other hunters passed up on some 95 inch and another one was looking for 110" buck that they glassed up but couldn't find him.  All in all we had a blast and can't imagine what the rut down there is really like.    

IMG-4897.JPG

IMG-4571.JPG

• Like 13
  • Wow! 1

Nicely done guys congrats! 5 hours to do the proceedures to head out to the ranch is 4 hours to many.

Congrats! Sounds like fun. I always think it's funny how much trouble Americans go through to cross the border but it seams it doesnt happen when they come here lmao! 

When did you go we had no moon and the nutten was crazy, they wouldn't stand still.

23 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Nicely done guys congrats! 5 hours to do the proceedures to head out to the ranch is 4 hours to many.

Ernesto we went as a whole hunting party!  Five trucks with trailers, side by sides, and 14 people total and 10 hunting tags.  The guy we went with bought all the tags on the ranch and then sold them to people he new to have more of a group party hunting trip

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

When did you go we had no moon and the nutten was crazy, they wouldn't stand still.

Just got back!  We were there for the blood moon that came out

• Like 1

Just now, wildwoody said:

We were the the week before and it was off the hook

Maybe we missed it!!!  

We went week earlier this year because they were up all night with the moon, and bedded most of the day, this year it was all day long, with some 20min lows