Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Arrow choices....

I will be getting a new bow this spring. Due to shoulder issues I will also be reducing my draw weight by a significant amount so that means the pile of axis 300s I've been shooting for years will be significantly over spined. So, looking at the Easton site this morning and man a lot has changed in arrows lately. What are you guys shooting these days? 340 will probably be my new spine.

I’ve been shooting axis 340s for years. 

Curious us what your draw length and poundage was that you were shooting 300s

1 hour ago, 4Falls said:

draw length is 29. 80 lbs.

The 80 lbs will do it. 

What overall arrow weight are you looking to achieve?

Yeah, Its a great bow (Hoyt Vulcan) and fine for hunting, but I've had it since '06 anyway and its time to upgrade. The draw weight is usually fine if I only need to fling an arrow or two as in a typical hunting scenario but years of construction have taken their toll on my shoulders and they are asking for a break. :)

My next bow will most likely be a Prime, and I'd like to be in the 60-65 lb range. Id like to stay with an arrow in the upper 400 grain numbers. But it will depend a lot on how it shoots.

If you are wanting an arrow that heavy I would look at the gold tip kinetics with there outsert. Should put you around 460-470 grains overall with a 100 grain tip. 

You could always bump bump that up to a 125 and up your FOC and get closer to 500 grains

I'd see how the 300s fly out of your new rig first-- if you don't like what they do then look at dropping down in spine. I switched from Axis to the Maxima Red SD and they've shot great (70lb Hoyt Defiant).

I have always shot overspined arrows and never ever had a problem with them tuning. EVER. Stick with what you have. I highly doubt you have accuracy issues with them. 

I would try the 300's and see what happens.    I shoot 300's out of my 62# hoyt and they fly like darts.    Maybe a bit stiff but I would much rather have a stiffer arrow than a weak arrow.   I personally shoot the full metal jackets and love them.   My wife and a few other buddies also shoot them and have had great luck.   Not the fastest or smallest shaft but super durable and accurate.