Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter69

Unit 21 herd....Edit...Pics and story

I was wondering if anyone knows if there was anything that happened to the herd in unit 21 over the last several years?  I haven't heard anything but noticed that there are only 5 tags this year.  My dad shot one there about 9 or 10 years ago and I think there were 10 or 12 tags that year.  I also want to say a few years after that I saw that they gave out 20...I could be wrong on that though.  

The arizona pronghorn population has taken a huge hit the last year or two. Drought, coyotes and habitat encroachment are to blame. Pronghorn live in flat areas which happen to be easier to develop. They are much more sensitive than deer or elk. 

• Like 3

Was out by by Fain Rd. and over by Chino Valley today and seen over 200 goats. One herd by Chino had over 60, and close to half we're bucks. I know it's not 21, but seems like they are doing well there.

Back in August I ran into one of the WM's for 19A and they were doing their helicopter surveys for antelope and he said in 3 days of flying they had seen 1 fawn.

Didnt a bunch of them off of bloody basin road(east side of freeway on the mesa after the creek) get shot and left to die back in the mid 90's?

if I recall it was almost a dozen of them.

1 minute ago, Delw said:

Didnt a bunch of them off of bloody basin road(east side of freeway on the mesa after the creek) get shot and left to die back in the mid 90's?

if I recall it was almost a dozen of them.

Shot and ate by the hippies 

Drought and coyote in 21. I had one if the tags last year and it looked like they were coming back pretty well. Watched a few different herds and left a couple great bucks out there.

• Like 1

I remember seeing them around Sunset point all the time.  I bet I haven't seen one around there in 10 years now.  

• Like 2

Originally, I just asked this question out of curiosity.  But fast forward 4 months and I got super lucky and drew tag #5 of 5.  So, I will be hunting them come September 6th....just so happens, it would have been my dad's 81st birthday.  Good to hear there are some good bucks left in there.  

• Like 3

Lots of really good bucks in 21.  They are spread out pretty good in small pockets.  That early hunt is chalked full of rattlesnakes, so be prepared when crawling thru the prairie grass

• Like 1