Did Remington ever make a 700 action that the bolt would stay locked with the safety on? My buddy's 700 ADL's bolt pops open when he gets it hung up on a tree or brush, and I had a BDL that did the same thing, but I thought at one time they did.

On that note. I think that would all have to controlled by the trigger/safety.  So if he wants his bolt to stay shut he could find an older trigger and put it on his gun. 

The older Remington trigger has a safety with a bolt lock. The safety lever extends into the action and prevents the bolt from opening with the safety on. Due to a lawsuit this was changed where the bolt could be opened while the safety is on. You could search for an older Walker trigger with the long safety and replace the one you currently have or just replace the safety. IF you're a reloader you can remedy the bolt opening by making your ammo tighter for your chamber.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:32 AM, L Cazador said:

The older Remington trigger has a safety with a bolt lock. The safety lever extends into the action and prevents the bolt from opening with the safety on. Due to a lawsuit this was changed where the bolt could be opened while the safety is on. You could search for an older Walker trigger with the long safety and replace the one you currently have or just replace the safety. IF you're a reloader you can remedy the bolt opening by making your ammo tighter for your chamber.

You are kidding about making you ammo tighter aren’t you?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, MMACFIVE said:

You are kidding about making you ammo tighter aren’t you?

It's real simple, you don't push the shoulder back at all and you let the brass stretch to .001" over chamber dimension. Brass stretches on every shot and sizing and bumping the shoulder back so the bolt will close easily is the usual SOP. You need a headspace measuring tool to do this accurately but the old trial and error works as well. Remove your firing pin assembly also for an accurate measurement. We're talking bolt actions here.

33 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

It's real simple, you don't push the shoulder back at all and you let the brass stretch to .001" over chamber dimension. Brass stretches on every shot and sizing and bumping the shoulder back so the bolt will close easily is the usual SOP. You need a headspace measuring tool to do this accurately but the old trial and error works as well. Remove your firing pin assembly also for an accurate measurement. We're talking bolt actions here.

As a side note, if you choose to use this method, a crush fit if you will, you might want to run just your brass into your chamber to make sure the bolt will close on all of it before you take it hunting, just in case a second shot might be needed. Wouldn't be to funny if your much needed second shot wouldn't chamber.

• Like 1

I understand what tighter is. I just never thought I would ever hear someone recommend it for a hunting load. A good friend lost a chance at a huge Dall Sheep because his brass was too tight. Its not something I would ever do.

You can find factory ammo that is too tight for your chamber as well. And trying a round in the chamber does not mean the whole box of ammo is going to fit and function. Another reason to reload and to learn how to set your dies properly with a headspace and COAL guage. A .001" crush fit is not going to prevent ammo from being chambered but it will prevent brush from opening the bolt.

16 hours ago, L Cazador said:

You can find factory ammo that is too tight for your chamber as well. And trying a round in the chamber does not mean the whole box of ammo is going to fit and function. Another reason to reload and to learn how to set your dies properly with a headspace and COAL guage. A .001" crush fit is not going to prevent ammo from being chambered but it will prevent brush from opening the bolt.

You should try a .001” crush fit after 10 days of Alaska rain and you might change your mind. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, MMACFIVE said:

You should try a .001” crush fit after 10 days of Alaska rain and you might change your mind. 

Oh yee of limited intelligence. There is more than "ten ways to skin a cat",:lol: LOL!!