Sign in to follow this  
Goldfinger78

Green Chili Javelina

Dang that looks good.  The pics sold it.  I was going to "crock" some, but now I think I'm going to try this one.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I tried this recipe today.  I only made a few minor changes and mistakes.  I used different ingredients to make do with what I already had.  I also cooked mine at 200 degrees for 8 hours and then 300 for the final 2 hours.

The mistake was not ensuring ALL the meat was submerged in liquid.  That's why I had to up the temperature for the final 2 hours.  If I would have had all the meat submerged is sauce I'm sure it would have been ready at the 8 hour mark.

It turned out AMAZING!!!!

20200112_213204.jpg

• Like 3

This is hilarious, I was going to respond to this old post today too.  I did the same thing over the weekend with 1 of our pigs from this year and had the same result. I did about 17 hours at 165, took the meat out and deboned and cut into smaller strips (it would not shred) so I put in back in the mix (submerged now) at 250 for another 4 hours and it came out super tender and moist.  I wish I would have added a bit more seasoning (I did 2 jars of 505 roasted green chilis and 1 jar of 505 medium green chili mix) as it is a little bland but good, but a little hot sauce took care of that.  I think tonight I'll fry a bit of it up with another can of green chilis and try that in tortilla.  But it ate really well and the Packers won so all good!  Thanks! 

• Like 4

I'd try it, but my crazy bad luck where crap just seems to go wrong (for me only, my kids can kill javelina like noone's business) continues. I suck!!!

• Like 2

I used the same recipe again this year and the key is to submerge the meat completely.  Also increasing the temp at the end for a few hours can help break it down.  I used the bones this year to make a soup stock for javelina green chili soup and it was amazing!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

I’ve done the same thing. Always tastes great....for about 4-5 days, then it always tastes like a javelina to me. Maybe my taste buds are messed up but i stopped hunting them about 7 years ago because i have a hard time eating them

Me too. I keep saying, it would be a blast to hunt them with a paintball gun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goldfinger78 said:

I used the same recipe again this year and the key is to submerge the meat completely.  Also increasing the temp at the end for a few hours can help break it down.  I used the bones this year to make a soup stock for javelina green chili soup and it was amazing!!! 

So..did you have to throw the pot away. ?

Looks awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I'll add one more tip after doing this with my '20 javelina -

To the same effect that it needs to be submerged in the green chili sauce, be sure not to cram all of the meat into the catering pan (or smaller baking dish in my case). You'll want space between the cuts of meat to get it to tenderize right.

• Like 2

Did the same thing with ours came out fantastic, our camp threw some back straps on the grill, soaked in milk for a few hours and used a little Montreal steak seasoning and actually wasen’t bad little chewy but not bad at all

• Like 1

I apparently fell asleep all of last year and didn't do anything with last years 3 bow pigs and then this years 3 bow pigs and 3 rifle pigs added to it.  After cutting up elk and deer this year, it was time to clean out the freezer of pig meat.  We made chorizo, breakfast sausage, summer sausage and a pot of your green chili and I still had a bag of meat left and was tired of messing with it so took that bag to von hansons and they made up 3 different types of brats out of the rest.  All in all these pigs still mix up good and saves the deer and elk table fare.  

3 hours ago, jdown said:

I apparently fell asleep all of last year and didn't do anything with last years 3 bow pigs and then this years 3 bow pigs and 3 rifle pigs added to it.  After cutting up elk and deer this year, it was time to clean out the freezer of pig meat.  We made chorizo, breakfast sausage, summer sausage and a pot of your green chili and I still had a bag of meat left and was tired of messing with it so took that bag to von hansons and they made up 3 different types of brats out of the rest.  All in all these pigs still mix up good and saves the deer and elk table fare.  

They make the best Brats.