Sign in to follow this  
Goldfinger78

Green Chili Javelina

I have eaten and prepared many different types of game meat over the past few years but this one is my favorite!!! I take all the meat still on the bone season it with granulated garlic and black pepper.  Then I put it in a large catering pan and cover it with green salsa and green chilis.  Wrap it in aluminum foil and cook it for approximately 14 to 16 hours at 170 degrees in the oven.  The meat should fall of the bone when it's done.  Once it is done, I shred up all the meat and then mix it back with some of the sauce it was cooked in.  Makes the best green chili burritos!!!

IMG_20190126_144202.jpg

IMG_20190127_085053.jpg

IMG_20190127_095637.jpg

IMG_20190127_095911.jpg

IMG_20190127_103909.jpg

IMG_20190126_144605.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Wow! 2

I can attest that this is some of the best tasting meat I've ever had!!!!!!

• Like 1

I’ve done the same thing. Always tastes great....for about 4-5 days, then it always tastes like a javelina to me. Maybe my taste buds are messed up but i stopped hunting them about 7 years ago because i have a hard time eating them

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I’ve done the same thing. Always tastes great....for about 4-5 days, then it always tastes like a javelina to me. Maybe my taste buds are messed up but i stopped hunting them about 7 years ago because i have a hard time eating them

Brine them twice in a bucket of ice water for 4-6 hours each. It pulls out the blood and a lot of the stink.

• Like 1

I'll have to try this.  We have used javelina strictly for summer sausage, chorizo, b-fast sausage and jerky the last couple of years because in my experience sometimes it is the best tasting meat and sometimes it's horrible and I can't figure out why.  We had 3 pig hunts last year, on hunt two, we cut back straps that night and grilled them and they were unbelievably good, then did the same thing on hunt 3 and they were hardly edible. Several years ago we pitted a couple of them along with Elk, Deer, Bear and Antelope for a party and the pigs were gone first.. crazy good. Did the same thing a few years later and I wouldn't have given that pig to my dogs.. just horrible.  I can't figure out why so inconsistent so kind of gave up and just use for sausage.  All have been killed and taken care of in the same manner--nothing extravagant, but typical field dress, wash and cut.  Going to try this recipe though.. thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

My perfect Javelina hunt:  See pigs, move in ,take a shot( either archery or gun), miss, go home happy.

The best javelina I had was cooked in a pit with green chilis, and that does look good!

That being said, I do like having a freezer full of pig chorizo, but when Denmark quit  doing game meat, I decided its easier to buy it when I want it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

My perfect Javelina hunt:  See pigs, move in ,take a shot( either archery or gun), miss, go home happy.

The best javelina I had was cooked in a pit with green chilis, and that does look good!

That being said, I do like having a freezer full of pig chorizo, but when Denmark quit  doing game meat, I decided its easier to buy it when I want it.

Spoken like a guy who misses Javelina often...  Com' on Man!!

59 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Spoken like a guy who misses Javelina often...  Com' on Man!!

Once.  And  you promised not to tell anyone!