Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Condolences to Blue Ridge Faithful

I saw that the other day...sad day for his family. Quite the legend up here on the mtn. I also played against BR back in the mid 90s. We along with many others didnt have a win against BR during those times

RIP Coach- you inspired many boys to men and set the standard to what great is. 

I can't find it now but there is a video of him at Poston Butte teaching his players about motivation and effort where he asks a kid for his best effort in a speed drill and then after he does it once he then offers him cash to beat his previous "best effort". That's the kind of teaching he was brilliant at.  Making kids challenge themselves, learn how to give more, how to be more. My BIL told me a story of getting blown up on the sideline after fielding a dangerous punt and taking it to the house, Coach Moro told him it was dangerous and selfish.

In their family he is a legend.  I wish my kids would have had the chance to play for him.

• Like 1

i only saw coach Moro get mad once. Minor, like because one practice wasn’t going great. He got effort out of players because they didn’t want to let him down. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I can't find it now but there is a video of him at Poston Butte teaching his players about motivation and effort where he asks a kid for his best effort in a speed drill and then after he does it once he then offers him cash to beat his previous "best effort". That's the kind of teaching he was brilliant at.  Making kids challenge themselves, learn how to give more, how to be more. My BIL told me a story of getting blown up on the sideline after fielding a dangerous punt and taking it to the house, Coach Moro told him it was dangerous and selfish.

In their family he is a legend.  I wish my kids would have had the chance to play for him.

Yeah, he was an innovator - he created "California Camp" where we ran drills in the sand and water, also created "Mountain Camp" where we got dropped off up around Big Lake and had to hike, run explore as a team - out in the wilderness. He really knew how to push young men and make them bond in uncomfortable situations. That's his legacy of creating a team bond that led a lot of physically small teams to beat bigger, stronger teams. 

He certainly knew how to motivate, and get people to work together, but more importantly, he was all about individualism and how making yourself the best you can be, then combining that with others who were like-wise motivated, could do amazing things. 

Of course, he had his own demons to recon with, but I'd count him in the top 3 of most influential men in my life.  

• Like 1