JBenz63

When you’re upset you don’t draw

Had been putting daughter in for youth (ELK) tags for first 5 years nothing. Now just putting her in for trophy tags up to 8bp. Drew her first youth deer tag last year.

10 hours ago, Coach said:

The draw is an imperfect system. Sometimes people with tons of points don't draw. Sometimes people with low or no points draw - even hard-to-draw tags. That's just how it is, but it doesn't  help anyone to try and make it seem unfair.

Imperfect? How can that be when what you described is exactly how the system is supposed to work? That's the whole idea of the bonus pass and then the RANDOM pass that gives everyone a shot, as DESIGNED. Sounds quite perfect to me. 😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

There’s left over deer tags every single season if parents really wanted opportunity for their kids. I’m not anti youth hunts. But i am anti bull youth hunts and anti youth rut deer hunts. 

I think no one under 50 should be allowed to hunt the primo seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Coach said:

So is the question, "Do kids quit hunting because they aren't drawn"  OR " Do kids learn to love hunting because they are drawn"? 

From my perspective, and I have 3 sons that have done very well over the years. If it weren't for our state's youth hunts, they wouldn't have had the opportunities and successes they have had. 

I'm all for youth hunts - from the perspective of a dad, and that of someone who wants to see the next generation understand and relish what we sometimes take for granted.

A child is going to like hunting or not like hunting regardless of a tag. It starts with a bb gun and tweety birds. Slowly graduate to a .22 and plinking rabbits. Next a single shot to start ground swatting dove and quail. If you do good with all these dad will get a deer rifle for you and put you in for deer and pigs.(we were 14).If you show maturity and skill then move up to an elk tag. That was my upbringing.

Not whore off someones points. stare at my phone while dad or guide does all the work. click click click click. Ok look thru the scope and pull the trigger. You are not teaching a kid nothing other than depending on someone else to do all the work while they do nothing.

The above isnt how all kids are exposed to hunting but a lot are.

No child or adult are entitled to any tag. If you draw it fairly great, if not suck it up and put in next year.

A kid will have a killer instinct or they wont. Some will play sports or wont. Accept it and move on. You cant make a kid a killer or a jock. they will resent you for trying to make them something they dont want to be. Doing things just to make dad stfu is all they are doing. A lot of your kids are doing just this you just dont see it.

Blanket statement not intended for any one person just whoever it fits. 

• Like 5

Elk used to be easy to be drawn until all you idiots started putting in;  Clogging up the draw, blowing up the computers, scamming the system, crying about unfair to your little world,  yacking for hours on a hunting website about something that you know nothing about.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

I think no one under 50 should be allowed to hunt the primo seasons. 

I’m not even that mad at this idea. By the time I’m 50 the bonus will be like 65 points 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m not even that mad at this idea. By the time I’m 50 the bonus will be like 65 points 

The system we have now is what it is... some say better than before, others won't agree that it is.  Hopefully they continue to reduce the opportunity for some to take advantage of the system "flaws" allowing those who will find ways to abuse the "intent".  I don't know what that is, but would also willingly help the G&F figure out how to make it better.  For now at least it's still a lottery that I feel for the most part works in spite of those who take advantage of it.

My wife didn't want to hunt this year and is sitting on a fair number of points so she didn't put in for a tag just so I could go out and say, "Look through here and pull the trigger."  Unfortunately I'm sure there are many who do just that.  When she wants to hunt again she will apply, but not before.  She likes going out, just not being a shooter (at least not this year).  She has taken elk before BTW.

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

That's only if you don't die from an STD first. Today's antibiotics might keep you around a bit longer, however. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

That's only if you don't die from an STD first. Today's antibiotics might keep you around a bit longer, however. 🤣

It’s 2019, everyone has at least herpes right?.......

Right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

Imperfect? How can that be when what you described is exactly how the system is supposed to work? That's the whole idea of the bonus pass and then the RANDOM pass that gives everyone a shot, as DESIGNED. Sounds quite perfect to me. 😉

Correction - it's not going to make everyone happy all the time. Better?

6 minutes ago, Coach said:

Correction - it's not going to make everyone happy all the time. Better?

Better. BUT...no draw is going to make everyone happy all the time. Even in a perfect system, those who get left out aren't happy, right? 

Never put my kids in for junior elk tags..Horrible odds.  My 14 year old has 3 elk down and my other kid had 2 rifle bulls, archery bull, and a cow all by 18 and all tags were filled.  We just put in for  Non-junior tags but less desirable units and are not picky at shooting giants...Hooked!!!!!!

• Like 6

They didn't have youth tags when I was young.  Didn't draw a bull tag until I was in my 30's and I had zero success at big game hunting until my late 20's.  My Dad was not as fired up about hunting as me, yet I still have a great passion to hunt, without being given all the freebies that the Department and others say are so necessary to recruit and retain hunters.  You either want it, or you don't!

On my other dilemma I confirmed with the Big Game Supervisor at the Department that once your card is charged when you apply, your app is valid and therefore will earn a bonus point and keep the loyalty point regardless if your card is declined or not processed at the time of the draw.  Might have dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Heat said:

Can anyone here verify whether a rejected card during the draw no longer results in a lost loyalty point?  Thats assuming you have a valid app to start with?  Would rather not draw that tag by mistake and have to pay for it.  If I can keep my loyalty point and get my bonus point, I'm changing my card number tomorrow to a bogus one!

I have a visa giftcard sitting on my desk with nothing on it. I can send you the number if you want it. Wont be a bogus card, just insufficient funds. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Shelvin! 

I put a different card on "lock" and changed the number to that one.  That should do the trick.

• Like 1