AntlerObsession

Live Trap- trying to remove a coyote in town.

Very difficult to get a coyote in a live trap - I’ve seen one personally and it was a young coyote .....cats and foxes no problem- coyotes not so much .....a foot hold would do it if it’s legal - not sure of the in city and all that stuff - but I wouldn’t count on catching him in a live trap .... just from my experience.

ive got half a dozen traps your welcome to borrow and give it a try if youde like - I’m in Taylor though. 

• Like 2

Foot holds are illegal in az, everywhere, sucks,  for about 30 yrs now

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Foot holds are illegal in az, everywhere, sucks,  for about 30 yrs now

You can still use them on private property. But again like Tomgobbler said they may not be allowed in city limits. It would be a waste of time trying a live trap IMO.

• Like 1

Snare

• Like 2

My mistake, I've been corrected, I was told by the game and fish that I couldn't use them on my property or anywhere. I do remember when they stopped it , when people walking there dog without a leash would find them and people weren't checking them every 24 hrs. Thankyou

1 hour ago, dennis j mahony said:

hamburger mixed with antifreeze

This works. Someone did that to my aunts dogs. I don't think they even had much of it.  

the glass and antifreeze comments are bullshit, those methods kill far more pets than they do what you are actually after, would you like to watch your friend die slowly in agony or explain to the little girl next door why you killed her cat.  Build a better chicken coop, we even had to trench around the walls and fill in with big rocks to keep things out of the coop in Wy.

• Like 8

I'm in the same boat. The fox still comes around.

Built a blind of sorts near the coop and spend some time in there at night when I can. He comes between 3 and 5am.

Others have suggested reinforcing the coop. That's the answer. If you get this one, more will come.

Reinforce the yard/coop and make it predator proof. I'm almost done with the top. When I built the yard, I did T Posts in a big circle with 6 foot wire. (That's hard to put a top on, and I didn't realize the fence wasn't high enough) The coop itself is an old shed with an automatic door that shuts at dusk. There's no way he's getting into that, but I'm still trying to finish the top of the yard. I need to have it fully enclosed and 100% reinforced.

I strung electric wire to keep bears and javelina out... nothing else worked. Foxes, raccoons, and skunks still figure out ways to visit at night. Coyotes haven’t touched the electric wire as far as I have seen, but they seem to know it might hurt. And big cats haven’t shown an interest in the chickens at all... so far.

• Like 3

Leg-holds are legal on private land but there are all kinds of limitations (License and classes) and Scott on another forum pointed (2012?) out that:

Tucson is AZ G&F unit 38M. You can not trap an M unit. It is against the law. You can hunt it in some metro units. Not in the city limits though.

I know a guy right now who lost his AZ hunting/trapping/fishing license for 5 years for trapping in an M unit.

Very very difficult to catch a coyote in a live trap.  They are too smart/spooky to even get close to it.  It can be done but very rare.  I caught my first one ever this year while cat trapping.  It was a shock to say the least ...

B6818A13-0AE1-4C16-BC65-52F50544FE3A.thumb.jpeg.0c5e91725eb682a39cda11b94d67a28a.jpeg

• Like 3