KaibabHunter

Gun safe recommendations

Never owned one but it’s time. Budget would be $500-800 new or used in the 24ish gun capacity and reasonable fire rating. A nice look would be a bonus. Recommendations? And any install or tips in general appreciated.

Ryan

I sold safes for a dozen years.. I think my biggest piece of advice is get one size bigger than you think you need. Just like garages, it fills up.  Interiors can be tricky--ez outs generally don't work for scoped rifles without taking out the spot opposite to it, and non-ez outs are hard to get anything out without removing half the guns.. just have to take that into consideration in terms of how many long guns it holds.  Fire ratings are typically all good enough- house fires generally don't burn nearly as hot or as long as the UL requirements.  I don't like digital key pads personally, but to each his own. Cheap dials work, but are definitely not as nice as the better S&G ones in terms of accuracy and smoothness (tumblers can get off a 1/2 to full position for each number either way... can be frustrating).   A good dolly with set back wheels and straps, a pick up and 2 guys is all you need--don't pay the expensive delivery unless you just have to.   They lay down in the bed of a pick up with cardboard just fine.   Other than that, just about every gun or safe stores has all sizes and price points.   

• Like 2

Ryan I use an appliance  dolly  with straps, bring two come a longs with you so you can hook them to the dolly handles and pull the safe into the truck (tail gate removed) I ve moved my safe with the liner removed by myself several times and it has 3/16 inch steel on the sides and 1/4 inch in the door. Take two extra tow straps or tie downs to keep it secure once its in the truck. 

9 hours ago, KaibabHunter said:

Thx for the info. Interested in the Bighorn 24 cu ft/26 gun. At 585 lbs are there any issues setting it on tile?

My Cannon is about that weight and setting on tile. No issues being on tile.  I drilled 2 holes to keep the safe in place.

15 hours ago, jdown said:

I sold safes for a dozen years.. I think my biggest piece of advice is get one size bigger than you think you need. Just like garages, it fills up.  Interiors can be tricky--ez outs generally don't work for scoped rifles without taking out the spot opposite to it, and non-ez outs are hard to get anything out without removing half the guns.. just have to take that into consideration in terms of how many long guns it holds.  Fire ratings are typically all good enough- house fires generally don't burn nearly as hot or as long as the UL requirements.  I don't like digital key pads personally, but to each his own. Cheap dials work, but are definitely not as nice as the better S&G ones in terms of accuracy and smoothness (tumblers can get off a 1/2 to full position for each number either way... can be frustrating).   A good dolly with set back wheels and straps, a pick up and 2 guys is all you need--don't pay the expensive delivery unless you just have to.   They lay down in the bed of a pick up with cardboard just fine.   Other than that, just about every gun or safe stores has all sizes and price points.   

"my biggest piece of advice is get one size bigger than you think you need"   --  so true if you are not old.  If you are old, you take on the goal of filling it up and that can be hazardous to one's marriage!

Get the biggest one you can afford and then get the next size bigger!. A 24 gun safe means 24 long guns w/o a scope. Still very tight.