powerman83

Need New Mexico antelope tag

Hurt cattle company, talk to Avery Hurt, his got some still available for this year, I think it's was $5000 he's not a guide but the rancher, but still does  like a guided hunt. Need more info let me know

• Wow! 1

I agree , you can do a bull bison for $4500, but they do both include lodging and food, helps some, that's why I love Wyoming, $300.00+  for a buck and 2 for tags

• Like 3

On 2/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, powerman83 said:

So fellas I found out antelope is over the counter now in New Mexico for private land , just need to find a rancher to let me hunt on his property 

You can't just get permission to hunt on private land and then buy a tag. That isn't exactly how it works. SOME landowners are given limited permits by G&F, which they can then sell or do whatever they want with them. If you can find one that's willing to give you one of his very limited permits, you can then go to G&F and buy the license, stamps, etc.  However, the landowner must apply through a program to get these permits. They aren't too likely to go to all that trouble to apply for them  just to give them to strangers. The vast majority of landowners sell there permits for big money, as was mentioned above.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StickFlicker said:

You can't just get permission to hunt on private land and then buy a tag. That isn't exactly how it works. SOME landowners are given limited permits by G&F, which they can then sell or do whatever they want with them. If you can find one that's willing to give you one of his very limited permits, you can then go to G&F and buy the license, stamps, etc.  However, the landowner must apply through a program to get these permits. They aren't too likely to go to all that trouble to apply for them  just to give them to strangers. The vast majority of landowners sell there permits for big money, as was mentioned above.

From the looks of it the whole A-plus system has been done away with this year.  Draw tags are good unit wide on public and private (if you can get permission) and private land tags are OTC a regardless of what ranch you are on.  Essentially they are leaving the management of antelope on private land up to the landowners now.  The tricky thing will be the public land that is land locked within the large ranches.  I’m guessing their private land tags will NOT be valid on that land but it also doesn’t have access for public hunters.  Similar to the way private land deer tags have been done in NM for some time.  

• Like 3

Like yotebuster said the landowners are now managing their own antelope herds. They can issue as many tags as they want on their own land.

It will be interesting how these ranchers handle the management of the antelope.

Yeah you can just go buy a private land only license over the counter now.  You don't even need to have a ranch to hunt on, you can just buy one and then go ask or pay for access to private.  Its going to be a wreck.  Big private land ranches will manage there herds just fine, they always have.  Its the 500-1000 acre deeded with 10,000 leased public land that are going to be the problem.  This is a good year to get an antelope tag because our buck population and quality are going to take a big hit this coming season.

• Like 1