Sign in to follow this  
pkita99

Kifaru Muskeg

Hey Guys,

Was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the new Kifaru Muskeg series packs. Looking to throw down some cash for a serious pack this year and considering purchasing the muskeg with the new lite/ultralite frame. 

Anyone here have it and can share some pro's/con's? Are there better options for the money?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Paul

I use kifaru but the muskeg line is designed as waterproof so I think it’s pointless in Arizona. It’s a loud material. Really needs to be used in a very wet environment to pay off. 

If if I lived in Alaska or the pnw I’d own it. 

I am buying the same pack and Lite frame. 

21 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I use kifaru but the muskeg line is designed as waterproof so I think it’s pointless in Arizona. It’s a loud material. Really needs to be used in a very wet environment to pay off. 

If if I lived in Alaska or the pnw I’d own it. 

Ya i'm looking for a pack I can take anywhere hunting takes me. What my thought process was that even if it is loud i'm not doing any actual hunting with a 50lbs pack on my back, if anything i'm hiking into a glassing spot or something along those lines and if I glass something I am on a stalk and pack stays behind. Thats my thought process but maybe I am missing something as i still have a lot to learn.

I never drop my pack. I shot a javelina with a 30 lbs pack a few weeks ago. I shot a deer last sept with a 50lbs pack on. Kifaru makes a great rain cover for the few rain storms we get. 

The muskeg line is also more expensive and heavier 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I never drop my pack. I shot a javelina with a 30 lbs pack a few weeks ago. I shot a deer last sept with a 50lbs pack on. Kifaru makes a great rain cover for the few rain storms we get. 

The muskeg line is also more expensive and heavier 

fair enough, thanks for the input

I just compared the muskeg to a pack 500 ci smaller than the one I am interested in  and the muskeg is 4.8 oz lighter, add a rain cover  4.2 oz and 54 dollars, Making the Muskeg 35 dollars cheaper and its lighter. If you are going the hunt late seasons or during the monsoons or out of state Colorado or? it can storm real heavy I would choose the pack that suits you not one that suits another hunter. It is hard to beat their quality.

Muskeg 7000 CI 2 lbs 11.2 oz $365

Cavern 6,500 CI 3 lbs $330

Crater 8,000 3 lbs 4 oz $345

Reckoning 6,500 2 lbs 13 oz $284

RAIN COVER 4.2 OZ $54

I’ve been on late hunts and monsoons hunts. Never had an issue with the contents of my pack getting wet. A soaked frame webbing and straps, sure. An pack cover will due

I had the 5000 but it’s crunchy and the layout doesn’t off much over my reckoning and woodsman. 

The 5000 is $350 2lbs 8oz

reckoning is 6500 $285 2lbs 11

The woodsman is 4000 $220 2lbs 

I guess weight is compairable but I felt like it packed the same as the woodsman but the side zip is off to the side. It’s only water proff on the sides and back. The rest is standard 500d. I sold mine a few months back. Kifaru is great but they have several packs I like better 

11 hours ago, oz31p said:

I never drop my pack.

+1. Only exception may be while sitting in expansive glassing areas. Leaving a pack or boots behind isn't for me. 

The Cordura they use on the rest of their packs has pretty decent water resistance in my experience.  I have no experience with the new frame or material but I have been running their packs for about a decade.  Not sure you can get much better, especially their waist belts.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 2:07 PM, pkita99 said:

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated!

What pack and frame did you get?

10 hours ago, 452b264 said:

What pack and frame did you get?

got the 2800 muskeg and the new lite frame. They are both amazing. Very happy with the purchase. 

• Like 2

I love mine. Same frame but I got the apollo bag on clearance last year. great bag for day hunting plus has a meat shelf. Awesome bag. And a frame that fits you proper is an amazing difference.

• Like 1