bonecollector

Arrow tree

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

i did, 1999 i think it was. kinda always thought that tree was eye sore 

Holly shoot mark it 2/5/19 624pm we agreed on something 

It’s one tree that has been shot for decades, not 100 trees shot every year. Add up the amount of bud light cans and tire steel on/off the road going up the trail and the arrow tree would be considered a clean resource!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

I stuck one in it about 15 years ago. I'll head on up and collect my litter.😏

😉

Had an uncle who lived in Springerville who would tell the story of how people began shooting arrows into that tree:

In the 80’s much of the logging industry was being shut down due to the spotted owl.  One afternoon a recently laid off worker from the sawmill was driving down 191 when he noticed a spotted owl perched on a branch of an old dead snag just off the road.  He stopped, took out his bow and pinned the owl to the tree.  Upon returning to town, he told others of his ounce of revenge.  Soon a truckload of unemployed loggers was headed down the highway to see the small victory of logger over owl.  They all shot an arrow or two at the hated bird, most missing, but sticking in the tree...and the rest is history.

I will not vouch for the accuracy of this story or any others he told; but they all had a common thread, something in the woods got shot!  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Pine Donkey said:

Had an uncle who lived in Springerville who would tell the story of how people began shooting arrows into that tree:

In the 80’s much of the logging industry was being shut down due to the spotted owl.  One afternoon a recently laid off worker from the sawmill was driving down 191 when he noticed a spotted owl perched on a branch of an old dead snag just off the road.  He stopped, took out his bow and pinned the owl to the tree.  Upon returning to town, he told others of his ounce of revenge.  Soon a truckload of unemployed loggers was headed down the highway to see the small victory of logger over owl.  They all shot an arrow or two at the hated bird, most missing, but sticking in the tree...and the rest is history.

I will not vouch for the accuracy of this story or any others he told; but they all had a common thread, something in the woods got shot!  

I love it. That works for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Duggaboy said:

Time to start another arrow tree.

There is already is one, on the highway near Tal-wi-wi

28 minutes ago, photofool said:

There is already is one, on the highway near Tal-wi-wi

With the price of arrows these day, I don't think I'll be shooting them into the new tree. Always did enjoy the one at the center of this topic though. You just knew the hunt was on!

To me it's a lot different than trash. People who throw their beer cans out and leave trash around their camps are just lazy slobs, no better than thieves, IMO. This is a single tree with history and tradition to the locals. 

• Like 1

I remember visiting Independence Rock........thinking how odd it was I could be so taken spiritually and emotionally by a rock that in reality was a bunch of pioneer graffiti! I hate graffiti but because of the nature of the history of the rock and my own ancestry that passed through in that event it was a holy place for me!

The tree of arrows by no means is a holy place for me in that same regard, but it did take on a very landmark often referenced folklorish spot in my families many visits to Unit 27 and the Alpine area. Pictures and stories have become a part of family campfire discussion over the tree........I don't have a single arrow in the tree!!! Not because I missed......just simply didn't put one in it.

Most famous reference and quote came from a good friend when I was asking about good elk country and he said.......the tree of arrows.......which if you have been around the tree of arrows it is some pretty dang rugged country and the vastness of that area leads one to believe that we may have been snookered by my good friend with his helpful hint!!!!

• Like 1