longbowpilot

When do desert mule deer shed?

Is there a specific time anyone would say that desert muleys shed?  I found a nice shed a couple weeks ago in 37A but I am assuming it was there from last year since it was only the 2nd week of January.  Will muleys shed as early as January or do they keep their antlers  into late February/March?  

I have caught them on trail cameras in  mid March with no antlers. But usually into April. I like to look around water catchments/windmills then. Sometimes when they jump the fence they will drop. I know of a pair of sheds that went over 220 from unit 41 a guy found that way.

• Like 1

I did pick up a big brown in early February a couple yrs ago . I assume that was a fluke of nature though. But I have picked up 2 small brown muleys to start my shed season last yr on March 4th(fyi I'm in N.az)

Nice shed I too have found a shed in 37A but it was a few years back and it was a old shed but the first and only one I've ever found it was out at Newman peak got lucky and found it the bottom of a wash.

15499163095611109663218387855343.jpg

3 hours ago, Bigfish86 said:

Nice shed I too have found a shed in 37A but it was a few years back and it was a old shed but the first and only one I've ever found it was out at Newman peak got lucky and found it the bottom of a wash.

15499163095611109663218387855343.jpg

Dare I say it.....

Let's see those metatarsal glands.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, longbowpilot said:

Ok brace yourselves, its just a 2 pointer.  Nice shed to me but not much to others on this site I'm sure. 

antler.JPG

Good for you man! Always cool finding sheds.