Sign in to follow this  
Mr September

Cactus Bounders!

Are a lot of you guys seeing less Javelina/Javelina activity? I am kind of getting that feed back from A LOT of sources this year. I know we hunted 3 known areas hard this year and saw one sounder of 3 pigs. Was absolutely crazy. Hunted hard too, 8-10 hour days from dawn till dusk.(3 glassers) Everything was very green, but locals said it was a VERY dry year over all I guess? Just wondering what you guys think

This one.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr September said:

Another pig at 10 yards...

83220.jpeg

Did you shoot it in the butt?

Like everything else, G&F's goal appears to wipe all game animals off the face of the earth.  Add more hunts and hey, let's shoot 2 as well, what the heck.   I just don't get it.  I guess at some point we all we be applying for permits to glass up some condors, black footed ferrets and maybe watch some hump back chubs swim around.  

I guess but I don’t think the javelina population is in trouble. In fact I think it’s at a 20year high. 

If any thing I think most hunters are newer and/or use deer hunting techniques to look for them with in 100yards of the road. If is semi warm or windy or rainy they are hard to find. 

could be overall, I won't argue with you.  We've killed pigs out of the same 4 herds now for the last 10 (mostly archery, but a few rifle hunts sprinkled in). We did see all 4 herds this year, but I would say herd sizes are 2/3 what they were over the last year or two.  Maybe just a cycle.  I'm just not a fan of adding more tags and more hunts and more opportunity in general (Deer/elk/goats and Pigs).. we are up to what, now 5 pig hunts year with the 2 youth hunts, Archery, HAM and General?  Same with Deer in most southern units (4-5 hunts per unit).  Just seems like a lot to me and I would assume will take a toll at some point if it hasn't already (not sure when these animals get to be animals).  We know it has on Deer and Elk (quality and quantity) in those hardest hit units.   

On 2/11/2019 at 6:46 AM, Flatlander said:

Did you shoot it in the butt?

No that is my buddies pig. It was a frontal shot at 7 yards, that is the exit. Rage 2 blade Extreme. He didn't go 10 yards.

22 hours ago, jdown said:

could be overall, I won't argue with you.  We've killed pigs out of the same 4 herds now for the last 10 (mostly archery, but a few rifle hunts sprinkled in). We did see all 4 herds this year, but I would say herd sizes are 2/3 what they were over the last year or two.  Maybe just a cycle.  I'm just not a fan of adding more tags and more hunts and more opportunity in general (Deer/elk/goats and Pigs).. we are up to what, now 5 pig hunts year with the 2 youth hunts, Archery, HAM and General?  Same with Deer in most southern units (4-5 hunts per unit).  Just seems like a lot to me and I would assume will take a toll at some point if it hasn't already (not sure when these animals get to be animals).  We know it has on Deer and Elk (quality and quantity) in those hardest hit units.   

I would say they are definitely down some. And I agree with you 100% ^^^.

Herds we've seen aren't very big. Seen tons and tons of sign but not a lot of animals considering. Maybe its us or maybe the numbers are down, not sure.

It's good that you are seeing sign. What was weird is I walked two of our main areas from one end to the other, top and bottom of washes, and ridges in between and could not locate any fresh sign. I have to say I was blown away. These are areas that have produced prickle pigs for over 15 years. We did find one little sounder of 3 in one area, but that was it. So we had to just start over and look in new stuff all day every day like glassing cyborg robots till we located a good herd.