Jazz

Changing a main breaker

First, I get it. Death. Dismembermant, etc..

As I understand it, I get a permit from Maricopa County, call APS, they come out to the house and kill the power. So I won't die. Bonus.

Every video I find I can't seem to see exactly what is needed to replace a 200 Amp Main Breaker. I'm assuming it's two or 3 wires, a few screws and snaps into place.

I called an electrician. They wanted 800 bucks. That seemed like highway robbery, especially since I already bought the breaker. I figured 10 mins and I'm good.

Has anyone changed a 200 amp main breaker? I figure as long as the main power is out, I'll do ok.

With the dome out and no power you'll be fine. Just make sure you got the right replacement for it. I watched my electrician change a regular one out one time just out of curiosity. Looked pretty easy.  

As long as you have the exact replacement,  You should be fine. Might have to have an inspection before power back on.

Just now, deercrazy said:

As long as you have the exact replacement,  You should be fine.  Have you looked into needing a permit, and an inspection.  Not sure about codes in your city/county

I know I need a permit before APS comes out.. There might be a follow up from the County.  More than likely, there is, and that's even more money.

I just paid 220 bucks for a fence permit.. that I had already built.

Most times you don't need a permit, just call aps, they'll send out a trouble to pull the meter, then change breaker, then he puts the meter back in, nothing for county to inspect. Aps will tell you if theres a problem. Probably just need a big pair of alliin wrenches. It will be attached to metal arms from meter or /2/0 wire. Easy pesly

• Like 1

As long as it is like for like and you are not changing the amperage most likely you will not need a inspection.    Ymmv depending on the city or county requirements. 

5 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Most times you don't need a permit, just call aps, they'll send out a trouble to pull the meter, then change breaker, then he puts the meter back in, nothing for county to inspect. Aps will tell you if theres a problem. Probably just need a big pair of alliin wrenches. It will be attached to metal arms from meter or /2/0 wire. Easy pesly

It's a repair so no permit needed. You can turn off the main, then the rest of the breakers one at a time, cut the clip on the meter, pull the meter, replace the breaker and reverse everything. $800 is about $400 too high.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

👀Well that's a given..

You'd be surprised. Also the manufacturers will have the occasional (slight) design change to a breaker that chingers everything up. 

• Like 1

I got the original Milbank 200 amp. Was hard to find. I haven't had a chance to call APS yet. But if I can get away with not having to get a permit, total bonus.