Sign in to follow this  
Bigfish86

Hows everyone fairing with javelina hunts so far?

Was just curious how everyone has and is doing with there javelina hunts so far been out scouting a few times and havnt physically seen them but have seen there signs around ( prints, scat, and chewed up forage ) I know there not a big fan of this wet and windy weather from what I have gathered got a hunt in 37a starting on the 22nd and saw we are supposed to get rain starting around the 19th I believe so I'm making sure I pack my rain gear for sure 

I am having a hard time in 37B I haven’t seen one pig or any pig sign been at it every morning  since opening day. If anyone could help steer me in a better direction I would really appreciate it. I am frustrated for sure. 

Yeah I planned on finding fresh tracks if it does rain only bad thing is my wife only has 3 days so I'm hoping we can get on them in that time frame for her first time hunting anything. I've got the whole week so I'm not to worried about myself but want her to tag out first. I've heard that its mixed results this year with javelina so I was just curious. What part of 37b are you in AZJeeper?

Having a hard time finding them in 22, rain and wind isn't help. Any drop pins would help

• Haha 1

I saw a bunch of pigs at Pete’s Place last time i was in there. Pretty sure it’s in unit 22

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shot one this morning, looked for almost 5 hours and never found it. Ran right by my with arrow sticking out of it into a series of nasty drainages, and that was that. Placement was a little back but definitely lethal.Extra bummer, would’ve been my first success with a recurve. Started shooting it this year. Oh well, I hate losing animals. Bumped a herd and had a clear shot at a big pig on the hike out, but I’ve never felt right about losing an animal and shooting another the same day. Maybe tomorrow haha. That’s hunting.

Keep at it. Typical a lethal hit javelina will go less than 50yards.

i know as little as they bleed I’ve walked right pass a down javelina several times before finally seeing it

• Like 3

Yeah I agree with you. Seen it many times. This pig is down out there somewhere, but it must be really hidden. I spend 4 hours combing through an extremely think area about 200x200 yards that I believe it has to be in, with obviously no success

7 hours ago, Azjeeper said:

I am having a hard time in 37B I haven’t seen one pig or any pig sign been at it every morning  since opening day. If anyone could help steer me in a better direction I would really appreciate it. I am frustrated for sure. 

If you find some washes with sign smooth out the sand in every one you find then check those spots every 12-24 hours. Once you find new tracks figure the direction they were headed and hopefully that will steer you in the right direction.  Thats the best i can do not knowing your unit.  

piggy that are hit hard/lethal  will crawl under any ledge overhang- dive right into prickly pear bushes and the nastiest of brush  etc.  

I've seen them flat out death run over 100yrds downhill after being hit deadcenter  with a 300 gr, muzzleloader  powerbelt /  no real blood trail to speak of. 

We never woulda  found that one  cept I was the bino  eyes  from a distance .

rarely have I seen them  drop within 20 yrds.- if its a good hea--rt shot       most other  lethal  hits  will be found past  50  yrds.  --- -   no tellin even with  double lung shots.  

generally if you can establish  the line of travel  by blood or tracks  - keep at it  look in every cranny.

one yr a hard hit piggy disappeared   in an rather open draw  between myself and another hunter on the other side - not 20 yrds across.  back tracked sever al times  - he was  in a hole under  2 rocks in the bottom -never woulda found him cept he popped his jaws when we almost stepped on him.

22 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

piggy that are hit hard/lethal  will crawl under any ledge overhang- dive right into prickly pear bushes and the nastiest of brush  etc.  

I've seen them flat out death run over 100yrds downhill after being hit deadcenter  with a 300 gr, muzzleloader  powerbelt /  no real blood trail to speak of. 

We never woulda  found that one  cept I was the bino  eyes  from a distance .

rarely have I seen them  drop within 20 yrds.- if its a good hea--rt shot       most other  lethal  hits  will be found past  50  yrds.  --- -   no tellin even with  double lung shots.  

generally if you can establish  the line of travel  by blood or tracks  - keep at it  look in every cranny.

one yr a hard hit piggy disappeared   in an rather open draw  between myself and another hunter on the other side - not 20 yrds across.  back tracked sever al times  - he was  in a hole under  2 rocks in the bottom -never woulda found him cept he popped his jaws when we almost stepped on him.

I killed one with the recurve you sold me on jan5th. He ran 12 yards and died. 😉

• Like 1