Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

Employment opportunity for STEM student - Prescott area

Looking for another set of hands in my machine shop.  I've got 5 CNC's right now, and may be buying number 6 at some point this year.  At this point, I can't really justify a full time employee as I can pretty well keep them running on my own, but I could use some part time help so that I can free up a few hours to get caught up on my office/paper work and process improvement projects.

I'd like to throw this out there to anyone that has a college student in the area studying engineering, science major or something manufacturing related.  A high school kid is fine too as long as they have reliable transportation, and intend to study one of the fore mentioned topics when they finish high school.

I expect I can keep them busy 15-25 hours per week.  Start at $15/hr.  Schedule can be flexible around class times, I'm usually there between 5-6am and stay until at least 6pm, usually 6 or 7 days per week, so we can certainly work something out.

What they will learn from me:

-  Set up & operation of CNC lathes & Mills

-  Blue print reading

-  Inspection & QC

-  Process improvement activities

-  Calibration

-  Hand finishing

-  Depending on how long they stay with me, may get into CNC programming & manufacturing engineering

What I expect from them:

-  Reliability.  I don't tolerate people I can't count on.

-  Honesty.  I've been doing this a long time and can get past just about any honest mistake.  I can't tolerate someone that tries to hide their mistakes or is otherwise deceitful

-  Willingness to learn and take on any necessary task.  Every shop has some dirty grunt work that has to be done.  I'm the owner and I'm not too good to sweep floors or clean a toilet, so my employees won't be too good for it either.

Anyone interested can contact me at: matt@zerotolmfg.com. 

• Like 3

That's a great opportunity. I'll pass it along to my oldest son, Matt. He's a certified welder, hard working kid, loves working with machines and any kind of steel working. He's got a forge he built himself out of vacuum cleaner motors and likes building knives. I've been trying to get him to consider CNC, tooling etc. He has talents but needs a career and probably a mentor to harness what he likes to do into something bigger. He's currently working as an electrician apprentice.  

• Like 1

Nothin wrong with that.  Pulling wire's a good trade, especially if he goes the lineman route.  

34 minutes ago, mattys281 said:

Nothin wrong with that.  Pulling wire's a good trade, especially if he goes the lineman route.  

Yeah, it's getting him to see the bigger picture that I've been struggling with. Pulling wires is one thing, becoming an independent contractor is a way bigger step. Turning that into becoming an entrepreneur, even a bigger step.  

My oldest is up there at embry riddle. I ask if he is interested. 

Many people argue that it is very difficult for students to find a job, but I strongly disagree with that. Literally a couple of years ago, I was in my third year of university and even then I found an awesome job. This only happened thanks to the social network linkedin. There I found a lot of cool vacancies. I immediately decided to take this chance and decided to upgrade my profile using the linkedjetpack.com service and apply to different companies and in the end I was hired in three places and I was extremely happy.

Matt’s a stand up guy. Zero bull s**t, very straight forward, enjoyed working for you Matt. Hope Prescott is treating you well. This is a great opportunity for any person old or young to learn from Matt.