bojangles

Junk science, anti hunting laws, and pushover hunters

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/blogs/dan-schmidt-deer-blog-whitetail-wisdom/cwd-researcher-state-urine-bans-are-illogical

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/wired-to-hunt/ep-267-bowhunting-urban-deer-with-taylor-chamberlin

Seems like we've lost some ground in recent times via AZGFD's hunting laws.

While at our regional meeting, i was told by an AZGFD official that hunting laws must become more restrictive to accommodate the new "California" demographic that now inhabits our state.  He was referring to the new 1/4 mile bowhunting law.  While much of the country enjoys urban bowhunting zones, even in libtard Washington DC; we here in AZ possibly may  no longer enjoy urban hunting.  It's bunk.  It's lazy management, caving into pressure from the anti's.  

While i've never used cervid urine to attract animals, and probably never will, i know a lot of guys who are believers.  But now it's illegal, based on junk science.  

I'm often surprised how there's not more of an uproar in the hunting community over these new restrictive laws.  In blue states, hunters would torch the capitol over some of these laws. 

It's a shame.  I will fight it tooth and nail.  

Join the fight.

1 minute ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I thought all of which you speek was banned/ rule a few years ago?

cervid urine was banned a few years ago.

1/4 mile just passed, as i've been told.  i haven't seen it in the regs yet.  we will see.  It has passed already in  certain hunt units, not sure if it's statewide yet.  I know it was up for vote as a statewide rule, can't find confirmation if it passed or not.

I will edit the "can" to "may" cause i'm not sure yet.

29 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I always thought you had to be 1/4 mile from a building to hunt since I got my hunters safety card at age 10

only for rifle hunts.

Urban bowhunting has been legal in Arizona until April 6, 2019, as i've been told.  Now it's illegal, "because of our changing demographic", as i was told by our unit manager.

Urban hunting is a staple in our hunting economy, that's why we have crossbows.  (not legal in archery season, of course)

But to say that this is now wrong, is ridiculous.  

One of the case points was that a homeowner found an arrow in the side of his house in pine.  This was used in argument for the rule change.  However, just because someone has an arrow in the side of their house, doesn't mean urban hunting should be banned.  What it means is, their neighbor needs a better backstop when he's sighting in his broad heads. 

This is the first I’ve heard of a rule to ban archery hunting within any distance of a building (firearms aren’t allowed I know). What rule just passed this is news to me?

12 minutes ago, Born2hunt said:

This is the first I’ve heard of a rule to ban archery hunting within any distance of a building (firearms aren’t allowed I know). What rule just passed this is news to me?

Supposedly just passed.  We will see when the deer regs come out.

G&F makes rules all the time and then hide them in that confusing mess they call regulations.  I have noticed that reading comprehension is weak among some.  So, G&F you need to rewrite regulations for elementary readers.  😉 

You have to use synthetic deer urine found at Sportsmens in AZ.  It probably works about as good as the real stuff.  When a buck is in rut he will sniff any old thing.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ThomC said:

G&F makes rules all the time and then hide them in that confusing mess they call regulations.  I have noticed that reading comprehension is weak among some.  So, G&F you need to rewrite regulations for elementary readers.  😉 

You have to use synthetic deer urine found at Sportsmens in AZ.  It probably works about as good as the real stuff.  When a buck is in rut he will sniff any old thing.

The rule is against cervid deer urine, I believe.  But, as noted by the biologists, the whole thing is a misrepresentation of science.

I brought this up on here during the comment phase of the process. No one really seemed to care, but living in the verde valley, there is a ton of hunting to do along the Verde river...or there was.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bojangles said:

The rule is against cervid deer urine, I believe.  But, as noted by the biologists, the whole thing is a misrepresentation of 

Interesting read. The Only thing he doesn't really address is how it actually is spreading if it's not really through saliva, poop and urine. Are animals chewing on the bodies of carcasses?  

In any case I can live without the deer urine. But the no archery hunting within a quarter mile is stupid.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Interesting read. The Only thing he doesn't really address is how it actually is spreading if it's not really through saliva, poop and urine. Are animals chewing on the bodies of carcasses?  

In any case I can live without the deer urine. But the no archery hunting within a quarter mile is stupid.  

Same old story, A few slob hunters ruin it for everybody.

• Like 1

1/4 mile rule ruined some great hunting that I used to do.  It sucks, but I completely understand why the rule is in place.  It isn't that hard to get 1/4 mile from structures and hunt.  Lots of the neighborhood animals are almost tame.  Not a big deal IMO.  Even the best hunters can put a bad shot on an animal and then it goes into the neighborhood and it turns into a shoot show.