Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Transporting a Turkey on an Airplane for Taxidermy

My son has been granted a rare opportunity to participate in the Kansas Governor's One Shot Hunt in a couple of months. This past weekend we were able to meet with some of the great people who put on the hunt. We mentioned to them that we are considering doing full body taxidermy on a bird, if he gets a good one, to remember the occasion. I asked about taxidermists local to the area of the hunt, but she recommended having a taxidermist back home do the work due to shipping risks and costs. I have a few questions for anyone with experience transporting a full bird on a plane:

• How did you transport it?
    • Cooler- How big does it need to be and any issues with the airline?
    • How long would an average sized eastern bird be when frozen?
    • In a suitcase? We have access to a freezer and should be able to freeze the bird before coming home? Would we be better off freezing, wrapping in blankets, and placing it a suitcase?
    • What else should we know and consider?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Like 1

I’d freeze that sucker solid and put it in a yeti/rtic/canyon cooler as checked luggage.

• Like 1

Any of the guides or you competent enough to cape it out? Freeze it and bring back as carry-on in soft cooler.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brademan76 said:

Any of the guides or you competent enough to cape it out? Freeze it and bring back as carry-on in soft cooler.

I have never attempted it on a turkey amd won't be experimenting on this one. No way of knowing who else doing the One Shot might know. 

Skin it and salt it roll it up put in a air tight bag , sould be good, ill check for you.

• Like 1

I brought one back from TX. Bought big girl pantyhose and cut them in half and slide it down one leg to keep feathers in place. Recommended by taxi. Then froze solid and put in trash bag inside luggage.  Must be solid or they get funny. It was still hard in PHX this was in April. 

• Like 6

I imagine there is some sort of outfitter or guides associated with the event?

If not, search for some in the area and see if you can arrange something with them to cape it out when/if you kill one.

• Like 1

I got My eastern in Pa. bout 8 years ago and flew it back to N. Dakota when I was there working in oilfied. I froze it in PA. wrapped in a blanket and put it in luggage , it was still frozen in a 2 hour flight . I think you would be ok like that for 5-6 hours easily no cooler need.. We drove Rio's back 12 hour frozen in coolers to phoenix from OKlahoma no problem...........I like local taxi to do my work......................BOB!

• Like 1

I’ve flown with frozen waterfowl a lot.  Just freeze it, put it in a garbage bag, wrap in a jacket or blanket and throw it in your checked bag.  A hard sided roller bag would protect it better then a soft side duffel bag.  It won’t thaw for a couple days so even if your baggage gets lost for a day or so you’re good.  

• Like 3