Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Kids and ATVs

Father of a 5 month-old and thinking ahead, when did your kids get started as passengers and drivers of ATVs, motorcycles and side x sides?

Passengers of sxs 5years old( for more than putting around camp) 

mine have never driven a quad alone and will never drive a motorcycle. 

10 and 6 currently

• Like 1

My 2, 4, 6, and 8 all go in my ranger with the wife and I. The 2 year old is in a baby seat with a bike helmet, the 4 and 6 have boosters with helmets, and the 8 year old just a helmet. 

I traded a rifle for a 90cc quad from a member on here for the 6 and 8 year old but never was able to get it running. 

10yrs old, and watch the age per CC's. Main thing that I noticed with young kids is controlling a quad during a panic, and get one with a governor. 

Started out as a passenger in my sand rail at 5. Driving own quads and minibikes at 7. Helmets and full riding gear always. 

Two boys and a girl all rode in sxs at 2. All had their own motorcycle at the age of 4 and haddled a pw50 or xr50 fine 

One Christmas a long time ago we bought 3 of those Chinese quads. The smallest one was barely more than something you'd buy at walmart. The kids drove those things endlessly. Of course, we made them wear helmets, but I'm thinking they were 12, 10 & 7 around then. Maybe a year earlier. We've carted them around in a ranger since around that time as well. Helmets & seat belts go a long way. Have fun and keep them safe.

5 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

Father of a 5 month-old and thinking ahead, when did your kids get started as passengers and drivers of ATVs, motorcycles and side x sides?

Every kid is different. only thing you can do is take them out every time you go out and let them play around.

our 1st daughter as the age of 7 was putting our bass boat on the trailer and off the trailer on crowded summer days during fishing tournies etc etc. one shot deal never had an issue. heck she did it for a bunch of buddies as well when they fished solo. if she could have backed a trailer up it would have saved a ton of us alot of walking back down to the ramp. ;)

Kids do some pretty cool things at any age you just have to let them try it. youll know if they can or cant as time goes on. take them out and let them run the dirt roads in the truck. I always let my kids drive as soon as we were on dirt roads from a very early age. My Dad used to take our son out all the time on his quad, dad would let our son drive it and he did good. for a 10 year old with downs syndrome thats pretty cool even The Warden wanted to get him a quad to drive around on out in the desert if I could have gotten a remote hook up to kill the motor.

when you feel they are old enough let them try in an area that has alot of sand, like a big river wash. but you have to make sure you take them out and let them drive it with you on the back for a while.

• Like 1